Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey clubep3,

I'm in the middle of replacing my timing chain and I can't get my cam gears to line up properly. The problematic cam gear is the exhaust cam gear.

I was told the key/pin could be messed up and I should try taking the gear off by some coworkers who build engines. So I vise gripped my camshaft and attempted to unbolt the gear and now I notice the gear is moving while the camshaft is static. Each movement is about a 45 degree snap.

Apparently that's not supposed to move without the cam moving with it.

Could this be my issue?
Here's an image of what my cam gears currently look like

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1695/26532871286_8600fd4ed9_k.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

BACKGROUND INFO:

About a month ago I got a p0341 (I think) error code for a cam sensor and my car was going into limp mode. I replaced the sensor for it to still go into limp mode. Turns out my dumbass forgot to check the oil and I was really low. Did my oil and it ran fine for a week.

After that 1 week mark I got in my car to drive home and started it. It started extremely rough and would die after a few seconds even with revving. It didn't sound good at all. Had it towed home and then it wouldn't start at all. It was just cranking. So I checked fuel lines and tried starter fluid/ether, check spark and fuses and battery and still no luck. Friends Dad told me to check the timing and sure enough it was way off.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Still at it huh bro? Well don't be discouraged. I'm in the exact same boat with you. Having the exact same problem. Well, I think I saw a video on setting timing for K20z1 motor, and the guy mentioned using an allen wrench on the other side of the cam to hold the cam while he turned the gear with a wrench, gonna give this a shot and I'll let you know what happens. My cars been down for more than a month now, and I've been missing plenty good driving weather.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Still at it huh bro? Well don't be discouraged. I'm in the exact same boat with you. Having the exact same problem. Well, I think I saw a video on setting timing for K20z1 motor, and the guy mentioned using an allen wrench on the other side of the cam to hold the cam while he turned the gear with a wrench, gonna give this a shot and I'll let you know what happens. My cars been down for more than a month now, and I've been missing plenty good driving weather.
Got her running today actually :)

Turns out my issue was this is a two-man job.

I had a buddy hold the exhaust cam gear TDC while I bolted on the guides and then the tensioner. Check every chance you can to make sure all the colored links are in the correct spot.

Once your guides and tension are on the chain will not move. This is the video I followed for the most part
I believe this is the video you mentioned.

Let me know if you have any questions. This was a hell of a job.

& I know how your feeling. My car was down for a good month.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Finally after about a month and a half. I got my car up and running again. My issue was stretched timing chain, and frayed pigtail for camshaft sensor.

·
Banned
35 Posts
I was told the key/pin could be messed up and I should try taking the gear off by some coworkers who build engines. So I vise gripped my camshaft and attempted to unbolt the gear and now I notice the gear is moving while the camshaft is static. Each movement is about a 45 degree snap. Lucky Patcher Kodi nox

1 - 7 of 7 Posts