Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
unknown
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been at this for 7 hours. Kind of tired. I know. Search but it's 1 am. I just finished swapping my exhaust cam on my k20a3. I follow the instructions to the dot from the speedshop write up. That and also i used ephatch.com cam install for reference.

I checked everything twice, maybe three times, to ensure that I put everything back the way I took it off. I go to crank the engine and it starts to idle at 2k. It's expected. Cold engine so it's warming up to operating temperature. Wells, after it's warmed up, I lightly step on the throttle to see how the cams are doing. I hear very loud ticking as the rpm climb. I've adjust the valve lash already. Did I do it wrong. I followed the instructions from the Helm's manual.

Oh. And this is my first time doing this. ;x

·
unknown
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure. But I didn't replace the rockers. Only the exhaust cam. Is it possible I didn't adjust the valve lash correctly? If there's too much slack between the rocker and the valves, would it cause my engine to tick as the rpm climb?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
what kind of tick is it?? is it a quiet but fast tick that gets louder as rpms increase?
if it's that double check the valve clearance. if it sounds like its whining w/ a tick it can be that your tensioner gave out.

why did you only change the exhaust cam??and not both?

·
unknown
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what kind of tick is it?? is it a quiet but fast tick that gets louder as rpms increase?
if it's that double check the valve clearance. if it sounds like its whining w/ a tick it can be that your tensioner gave out.
It's the tick that increase as rpm increase. I had to redo the valve clearances. It was too tight and I believe that was what caused it.

why did you only change the exhaust cam??and not both?
My camshaft was galled. It's a defect that's apparent with k20a3 motors. Search this forum and ephatch.com forum and you'll see others with similar problems. It's mainly the first lobe on the exhaust cam side. I've seen it on the intake side also. Sigh. Damn defect. Honda needs to fess up to it. I need a new motor. =D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts