Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I got my RSX back in 2006

When the car was newer, I could literally take naps in it for about an hour or two during road trips without any overheating at all.

=============

In February 2021 my car now starts to overheat and do a rough idle after it would run in my garage or a parking lot for an hour.

I had the radiator and A/C fans replaced. I also emptied out and put in new coolant.

I thought this would fix the issue.

=============

Now that it is June, and hotter outside, my car will begin to overheat if it is idle in traffic for about 10 - 15 minutes.

As soon as I drive it, the temperature gauge goes back down to normal ( just a tiny bit under the half-mark ) .

============

Out of curiosity I checked my K & N engine air filter.

The air box has an oily film in it. Not certain if that is normal or not.

But the K & N engine air filter has two (2) three-inch round black oil spots on it, and is overall dirty.

============

QUESTIONS :

1 ) -
Can A Dirty Air Filter Cause A Car To Overheat ?

2 ) - If not, has anyone else here had an issue where there car will overheat if they are idle in hot weather for about 10 to 20 minutes ?

2b ) - if yes, how did they resolve it ?

===========

Look forward to the assist.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
1. No
2. Yes. The blades on the impeller inside the water pump were no longer moving coolant unless the engine was spinning faster than idle speed.
2b. Replace water pump

K&N filters are oiled, it sounds like there's excess oil from the last time the filter was maintained. Just clean and re-apply the oil.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the impeller is the only thing that can cause symptoms like this. The other possibility is that your ECT sensor is malfunctioning, but I've never heard of that happening without the sensor actually failing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@mfarmakas17

Big thanks
for the reply.

1) - Should I just go ahead and change BOTH the water pump AND the " Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor ( ECT ) " at the same time ?

Or . . .

Just the water pump first ?

==========

2) - Can I get away with using an aftermarket water pump, or do I need to go with OE ?

2b) - If aftermarket, what brand do you recommend, and from where should I buy ?

2c) - What did you pay for yours ?

==========

3) - What are the signs that an ( ECT ) has failed completely ?

3b) - IF for some reason it is the ( ECT ) , can I get away with using an aftermarket piece, or do I need to go with OE ?

3c) - If aftermarket, what brand do you recommend, and from where should I buy ?

3d) - What is a reasonable price for an ( ECT ) ?

==========

Originally, my other idea was that it could be a " stuck " thermostat.
But then again, if it were the thermostat, I would imagine the engine would be hot while driving too. Not just when idle.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
1. I would do the water pump only. There are troubleshooting steps for the ECT sensor in the manual, you will need a multimeter though.
2. I'm not entirely sure honestly. I personally try to always get OEM parts if I can. I paid around $220 from Amazon
3. If the sensor had completely failed, you would see a CEL referencing P0125. I don't seen an issue with going aftermarket in this case. As for a reasonable price, I would say whatever your wallet is comfortable with lol.

A stuck thermostat would indeed make the engine run hot at all times, or even cold if it's stuck open. You have verified that your fans are working right? The only other component in the cooling system is the fan switch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@mfarmakas17

1) -
I can get an OE Water Pump from the dealership for $175

2002-2006 Acura RSX Water Pump 19200-PNA-003 | Acura Automotive Parts

===========

2) - An OE ( ECT ) from the dealership for $47

2002-2008 Acura Sensor Assembly, Water Temperature (Keihin) 37870-PNA-003 | Acura Automotive Parts

===========

STORY TIME :

So here is what I THINK happened . . .

Just ran the car again in my garage.

Turned on the A/C, and only heard ONE fan running ( the passenger side ).

It seems the 20 AMP fuse blew.

I replaced the fuse.

Both fans now run when A/C is on.

Tomorrow I will sit in the parking lot with the A/C and see if the car overheats within an hour.

I will let you know how it turns out .

===========

QUESTION :

1) -
Any idea why that SAME fuse has popped within a 4 month period since February ?

2) - When the A/C is " on " should both fans be running simultaneously, and for the same amount of time ?

3) - IF yes, is it normal for them to run for about 30 secs. to 1 minute, and then shut off for only about 8 seconds before coming on again ?

4) - When the A/C is " off " should both fans NOT run at all ?

4b) - Or when the A/C is " off " will they eventually come on after a certain temperature is reached ?

5) - IF yes, when A/C is " off " should only one fan come on, or both ?

5b) - IF only one, then which one ( driver or passenger ) ?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
1. If you have a fuse going out frequently, I'd imagine there's a short somewhere in the circuit. You'd have to inspect the wiring for each component.
2. I don't use my A/C very often so I honestly can't remember which fans run under specific conditions. I'll take a look today when I get a chance to step out of the office.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Alright, so I suck and forgot to take a look at the fans yesterday, but I did today lol. Both of mine run simultaneously, even when the ect is below the activation threshold (mine is set for 200 degrees).

Strange thing though, yesterday at least one of the fans would shut off and come back on intermittently. Similar to what you stated up there ^ on #3
I do remember about a year ago, someone mentioned that both fans should be running in high ambient temps with or without the a/c on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, so I suck and forgot to take a look at the fans yesterday, but I did today lol. Both of mine run simultaneously, even when the ect is below the activation threshold (mine is set for 200 degrees).

Strange thing though, yesterday at least one of the fans would shut off and come back on intermittently. Similar to what you stated up there ^ on #3
I do remember about a year ago, someone mentioned that both fans should be running in high ambient temps with or without the a/c on.
@mfarmakas17,

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In severe cases, a dirty engine air filter can cause or contribute to overheating. Like poor gas mileage, overheating is attributed to a rich-running engine. If your vehicle's engine air filter is clogged or otherwise dirty, less oxygen will enter the combustion chamber. tomzpot mobdro

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In severe cases, a dirty engine air filter can cause or contribute to overheating. Like poor gas mileage, overheating is attributed to a rich-running engine. If your vehicle's engine air filter is clogged or otherwise dirty, less oxygen will enter the combustion chamber. tomzpot mobdro
Thanks Dogzop,

I think the culprit was a 20 cent blown fuse which caused the driver's side fan to stop.

Changed the fuse ( after already replacing both fans for $200 ) and no more over heating, for now.

Again, it appears the culprit was a 20 cent blown fuse ( yeesh ) .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts