Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day folks today while in the process of removing the intake manifold to change the knock sensor and clean out the intake I broke off the item pictured. Now for the kife of me I'm unable to locate that part at any auto store and was wondering if any of you know what it is called. Much appreciated.
IMG_1436.JPG

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can you post a picture of where it broke off from? it would make it easier to try and find what part that came from for you
The portion that broke is right in the middle of the image I posted, see the hole because that's where the side tube was attached.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure I broke this same part off but I can't remember it either! The one end is probably stuck in the hose?
Yes you are correct in that the broken piece is stuck in the hose. I found that it's called an Intake Air Bypass Control Thermal Valve and what I need is the part number so I can purchase it from somewhere else other than Acura. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good evening Mark. Would you please let me know how to search for it because entering what you recommended doesn't bring up anything useful. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That is indeed NOT needed! it routes hot air into the intake and vents the valvecover...Get rid of that along w/ the "T" fitting coming off the water neck on the head it to looks similar. Put plugs in both of them. They connect to the squirrely metal round thing-a-ma-bob at the 1' inch line running into the intake. DO NOT get rid of the actual temp sensor that has a white plug in mounted near the 2 cam sensors on the dr.sd of the head. While your at it get rid of the coolant hose that runs water through your t/b. It's a simple mod that can be looked up here. and you need to silicone and plug that along with using the factory hose to re-rought it back to the block were it belongs? This will lower intake temp and save you a few bucks. A little extra horse power and money saved don't often come together much. Here's your chance. I'd put up pix but I'm to lazy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for responding with such a great suggestion along with instructions. Thanks again and have a great day.

·
Boosted K20A3
72 Posts
FYI - here's information from the Helms manual regarding the "Intake Air Bypass Control Thermal Valve" (which is used for the air-assist feature on the fuel injectors).

Intake Air Bypass Control Thermal Valve
When the engine is running during warm up, the intake air bypass control thermal valve sends air to the injector.

My translation - when engine temps are cold, the valve is open and allows air to suck through the injector's lower nozzle from the air box, which essentially marginally improves emissions during warm-up. After ECTs are at operating temp, the valve shuts and this isn't used anymore.

K-Tuned sells a delete kit if you choose to go that route (linked to kseriesparts):

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey there Happy New Year? This is all good info. You don't really need the kit. It's as if the factory designed the system to be defeated. If you don't live in Alaska....You don't need to heat up the T/B or the intake and it would seem to me that this to would lean out your a/f ratio @ the injectors and if that valve sticks, nothing but trouble. Now it's broke so fuc it. Here are some pix of the mod that will do away with this. I don't know all the rules but it would seem in CA this might not pass the visual inspection. For the record I was running a straight pipe but spent the money on a good CAT as it threw off my fuel curve and I don't condone eliminating everything that the EPA requires.
This is an area were I felt it would not hurt? I'm glad to see increased response rate here as there are some new members that have gotten bit by the RSX bug! I wish I had a pic of the "intake loop" put it got pitched and a filter on the V/C and a plug on my AEM V2. Seemed to make my car happy along with re-route on the coolant line to t/b and the T on the waterneck can all go....
This should give you an idea.

Attachments

·
Boosted K20A3
72 Posts
For the throttle body heater delete, I instead just routed that to my water cool lines on the turbo :) . Do recommend, although that makes the bypass mod a little more expensive, with needing to add a turbo and whatnot 🤣

·
Registered
192 Posts
For the throttle body heater delete, I instead just routed that to my water cool lines on the turbo :) . Do recommend, although that makes the bypass mod a little more expensive, with needing to add a turbo and whatnot 🤣
What about the intercooler! You gotta have that but the rest can go! lol I see were on the same page, cool what you did. I'm a N/A kinda guy that has up until now just enjoyed this car with a few basic mods. Cheap and EZ! Now that I have to rebuild I'm gonna take the advice from people such as yourself and share a bit of what I know beings I've had it for over ten years. I have the valve train to handle just about any cams I throw in. For now I'm going with TSX 06-08 ex. and I have the 03 T-S in. and a 06 Z in. I can't find a definitive answer as to the best combo? I have kept an open mind and there's enough info to learn from others as to what is what. Thankyou, every lil' bit helps! No turbo for now. 11.5-1 is hard enough to compress?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good day folks today while in the process of removing the intake manifold to change the knock sensor and clean out the intake I broke off the item pictured. Now for the kife of me I'm unable to locate that part at any auto store and was wondering if any of you know what it is called. Much appreciated. View attachment 564333
[/QUOTE]
I had to replace this part of my 2002 RSX. It is called the Intake Air Bypass Control Thermal Valve. I think I had to buy it from Acura. I've since sold my RSX. Repairs just got to be too frequent so it was time to let it go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts