Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone.. I figured id post up on here also to see if i can get some info and help. Alright , this is whats going on . Last night I was driving on the highway coming up to my exit , As i was gradually downshiffting i had a very abrupt shift going from fourth to third .a loud grind and revved very high . i pulled right over ,made sure it was third that it engaged into (it was third). No engine light came on at that second , but the car runs exactly as if i have my plugs and wires crossed and sounds like it also , but has no metal or clanking noises, no leak's everything else is perfect . Luckly my house is close to the highway and i drove straight home . This morning i started it up again , starts right up , no smoke or odd noises from the engine but my engine light did come on and it flashing . Now mind you I brought it to a tranny shop to have work done to it when i bought the car a half year ago due to some synchro issues so im bringing it back to tell them something is seriously wrong with third or fourth gear and they need to fix what ever it is cause it has done this once before . Im thinking my timing chain skipped a tooth .. If some of you guys can help me out on what it is and what i can do to fix it i would highly appreciate it .. Thanks so much guys

·
Shiny side up!
930 Posts
Welcome to the Third gear.... no third gear, pain in the ass !!! Some people have 3rd gear issues & lots don't , Many have had trans. repair (overhauls) some get fixed some don't , or go back to sucking.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Over-rev condition causing bent valves. A skipped tooth is possible but not anywhere near as likely. A compression test will let you know if either of these are the cause.
would the car even run tho with a bent valve ? if it can would you know how it would sound .. cause it sounds exactly like as if i had one of my wired crossed .thats why i was leaning towards the timing chain. sounds like a sti with exhaust to tell you the truth ..

·
Soup to nuts
7,175 Posts
I had a bent valve from a missshift... sounds normal, you may have some ticking, will cause a misfire... But my dumbass decided to drive the car to get to a parking lot... then i broke the valve, and then cracked my piston in half.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ damn .. sry to hear that man .. if it is a bent valve how do i go about getting this issue fixed .. like which place sells the parts I would need to do a valvetrain rebuild ??

·
Soup to nuts
7,175 Posts
If you bent a valve... You may have ruined other parts such as the top of the piston. If just the valve is bent, you might as well upgrade your entire valve train and go with some nice cams :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: Arrite .. I brought the car to a good performance shop Ive known and they found that i have a bent valve in the second cylinder. Now, Where do i go from here ?.. Do i uprgrade the valvetrain like Stitch said ..Stay oem and just replace the parts... or just get a whole new motor ??.. I need your guys help ..

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
UPDATE: Arrite .. I brought the car to a good performance shop Ive known and they found that i have a bent valve in the second cylinder. Now, Where do i go from here ?.. Do i uprgrade the valvetrain like Stitch said ..Stay oem and just replace the parts... or just get a whole new motor ??.. I need your guys help ..
Upgrading the valve train will not prevent this from happening again. Only do this if you are installing aftermarket cams. Personally, unless you really want to upgrade, have them pull the head, inspect the piston in that cylinder for damage and hope that you only need a new valve and possibly a valve guide. You can spend tons of money on new valves all around, a head recondition, etc. Ask your mechanic once he gets the head off what he thinks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts