Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Base RSX.

I am doing an " Auto to Manual conversion ".

Do you know if it's ok to get Type-S parts for my Base model ?

( ie - Just hardware, NOT electrical ).

Does anyone know ?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the parts that I know ( so far ) that come from a Type-S :

• Five- or six-speed manual transmission (get one from the same year as your car).
  • Five- or six-speed vehicle speed sensor (if your transmission uses a vehicle speed sensor, get the right one).
  • Rear transmission bracket (Honda PN 50827-S7C-000).
  • RSX or ’01-’05 Civic Si clutch pedal.
  • RSX or ’01-’05 Civic Si brake pedal.
  • RSX or ’01-’05 Civic (non-Si) stick shifter box mechanism and hardware
  • RSX shifter cables and hardware.
  • RSX center console garnish with shift lever boot.
  • K20A manual-transmission intermediate shaft and hardware.
  • RSX hard and soft clutch fluid lines.

=========

Which of these Type-S parts can I use for the "Auto to Manual" swap on my 2003 RSX Base ?

And can it be from an 02 - 06 ?

·
Original Owner
2005 acura rsx type s
797 Posts
have you worked on cars before or is this all new to you? I'm just curious because most of the stuff we told you about the auto to manual swap and the link should've help you out already. The one thing that no one probably mention is that the manual equip cars have a bracket that's weld on the fire wall that the top part of the clutch pedal bolts to. The front engine mount for a manual car is different from the auto. base rsx comes in auto and a 5 speed only. type s is a 6 speed. When hasport write rsx, it means manual transmission vehicle so it doesn't matter if it's a type s or base as long as it's a manual equip car from the factory.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have you worked on cars before or is this all new to you? I'm just curious because most of the stuff we told you about the auto to manual swap and the link should've help you out already. The one thing that no one probably mention is that the manual equip cars have a bracket that's weld on the fire wall that the top part of the clutch pedal bolts to. The front engine mount for a manual car is different from the auto. base rsx comes in auto and a 5 speed only. type s is a 6 speed. When hasport write rsx, it means manual transmission vehicle so it doesn't matter if it's a type s or base as long as it's a manual equip car from the factory.
Thanks for clearing that up.

This post came up because when I look on Ebay the title on some parts will say "Type-S" or "Base", yet the parts look the same. So I just wanted to be sure before I buy a $$$ part that I cannot return after 30 days.

=======

1) - So in short, all hardware ( NOT electrical parts ) on the list that I posted can be "Type-S" parts, and still be compatible with a "Base" .

========

2) - I need to get a front engine mount from a Manual RSX.

Part Number Interchange
  • A4549
  • 50840-S7C-000

·
Original Owner
2005 acura rsx type s
797 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up.

This post came up because when I look on Ebay the title on some parts will say "Type-S" or "Base", yet the parts look the same. So I just wanted to be sure before I buy a $$$ part that I cannot return after 30 days.

=======

1) - So in short, all hardware ( NOT electrical parts ) on the list that I posted can be "Type-S" parts, and still be compatible with a "Base" .

========

2) - I need to get a front engine mount from a Manual RSX.

Part Number Interchange
  • A4549
  • 50840-S7C-000
1.) yes.
2.)yes. you can also upgrade to hasport since you're getting the auto to manual bracket from them anyways.

·
Original Owner
2005 acura rsx type s
797 Posts
actually what is your end goal besides the k24a2 swap with a manual swap? You didn't clarify if you want a 5 speed or 6 speed. Is it going to be a show car or is it going to be a type r inspire car after the manual conversion is done and you realize you can use type r parts.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually what is your end goal besides the k24a2 swap with a manual swap? You didn't clarify if you want a 5 speed or 6 speed. Is it going to be a show car or is it going to be a type r inspire car after the manual conversion is done and you realize you can use type r parts.
I spent a LOT of time working on the exterior and it gets complimented regularly wherever I go.

But it runs like a slush box. I hate how the car is limited and UN-modifiable and can't get KPRO due it being an automatic.

The Auto trans is robbing me of power, and a stick is a better driving experience. With a stick I can get KPRO and then move onto a K24A2 ( for extra 40 WHP and Torque ) and other mods if necessary. Also the KPRO will wake up my CAI and Catback.

Imagine having a really hot looking girlfriend, but she has bad breath.
And you don't want to dump her cause she's always been loyal.
That's how I feel at this moment, and after 16 years it's time to upgrade the RSX.

=======

As for 5-Speed ( Base ) or 6-Speed ( Type-S ) that will depend on what transmission I can find.

The shop told me that a 5-Speed costs less, but I am running into more 6-Speeds on the internet.

With a 6-Speed I might run into some other issue to get it going.

FYI - According to Hasport / V-TEC Academy . . .

About those six-speed transmissions; those mean extra wiring. There’s a reverse lockout solenoid that must be wired into place. Without it, finding fifth and sixth gears on the fly can be difficult.Installing a stock, six-speed ECU will control the reverse gear lockout, but won’t work with base-model engines. To keep it simple, you could always just go with the transmission Honda would’ve used had they built your base-model RSX as a manual. That means a five-speed transmission, though. Unless you want to add work and you’ve got an ’01-’04 RSX, use the ’01-’04 RSX base model’s five-speed transmission or the ’02-’05 Civic Si’s transmission.
=========

So I am trying to keep it simple with a 5-Speed so that I can start modding I get past this barrier of not having a stick.

Any help you or anyone else can offer concerning finding a reliable, 5-Speed Trans, for an 02 - 04 RSX, at a reasonable price would be greatly appreciated.

·
Original Owner
2005 acura rsx type s
797 Posts
actually that's probably an old article because you can retask the dual intake runner control for the base intake manifold and use that for reverse lock out. It's literally the same plug as reverse lock out.
watch this hasport vtec academy episode to understand more about the engine harness. You're not going to reuse the base intake manifold when you swap to a k24a2 anyways so use that plug for reverse lock out. People keep thinking you need the type s ecu for reverse lock out but you don't. If you want a 5 speed get the ep3 civic si.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
BTW you can get kpro for the automatic transmission. Exporting KPros for other Makes & Models (Auto Trans included) : Driven Crazy. I actually have it in my winter car.
Thanks. I am aware. I saw that post awhile back at . . .

https://www.clubrsx.com/threads/official-base-auto-kpro-review-from-joel.670063/

But not certain I want to send my stuff to Singapore. The guys at BoomSlang mentioned being able to do something like that too.

But I am determined to get a manual at this point.

====================

I posted a similar article just a few days ago ( but for using an Auto ECU on a Man Trans ) at . . .

https://www.clubrsx.com/threads/whi...anual-trans-swap.1269810/page-2#post-55080011

·
Original Owner
2005 acura rsx type s
797 Posts
yes you can use a 5 speed with a k24a2. I have an ep3 and 03/05 type s and honestly if you're lazy the 5 speed seems more chill and relax to drive around with, the type s if you want performance

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes you can use a 5 speed with a k24a2. I have an ep3 and 03/05 type s and honestly if you're lazy the 5 speed seems more chill and relax to drive around with, the type s if you want performance
So . . .

5-Speed = Fun for Daily driving + torquiness

6-Speed = Ripping up the road every chance you get

====

Is my understanding correct ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts