Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
tastyfignewton
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My RSX base has had some strange issues lately. This is completely random, the car will start and then sometimes it does not. It sounds like the battery is dead but its brand new, along with a new alternator. Checked them out at Advance Auto and they also stated the starter was fine... I don't really believe it. Is there anything else you think it could be aside from the battery, alternator, starter?

Please view my video and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSwgxPw8GRQ&feature=youtu.be

·
hella slow
184 Posts
Starter most likely

If it doesnt start wait a like 15 seconds then try start it again. When my starter was bad I would have to attempt like 10 times before it would start.

Have a shop plug up a voltmeter to your battery so they can measure the voltage when its on and off.

Where did you get your starter?
Autozone / Advance auto parts starters are hit or miss.

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
I just recently replaced my starter. It was dying a slow death. Just for fun; I connected a jump box to the battery to rule it (the battery) out. It was definitely the starter. Over time, it just got slower and slower and sounded like it was struggling to turn more and more. I bought a Honda rebuilt one and the difference is night and day. I agree that, with a known good power source connected, the problem has to be the starter itself or a bad ground. But since starters are known issues with our cars; I'm betting it is the starter.

One thing that I read in other threads is that the starters have a tougher time when they are warm or hot. I really couldn't tell much of a difference. But if you get stranded somewhere; open the hood and let the whole thing cool down a bit.

FYI... I opted to let Honda replace the thing for me. It was about $600 for the part and labor. But the online Honda parts places sell a rebuilt starter for much cheaper. My place charged me $315 for the rebuilt one. Labor was $271.

But it starts like a motherfucker now.

·
hella slow
184 Posts
I just recently replaced my starter. It was dying a slow death. Just for fun; I connected a jump box to the battery to rule it (the battery) out. It was definitely the starter. Over time, it just got slower and slower and sounded like it was struggling to turn more and more. I bought a Honda rebuilt one and the difference is night and day. I agree that, with a known good power source connected, the problem has to be the starter itself or a bad ground. But since starters are known issues with our cars; I'm betting it is the starter.

One thing that I read in other threads is that the starters have a tougher time when they are warm or hot. I really couldn't tell much of a difference. But if you get stranded somewhere; open the hood and let the whole thing cool down a bit.

FYI... I opted to let Honda replace the thing for me. It was about $600 for the part and labor. But the online Honda parts places sell a rebuilt starter for much cheaper. My place charged me $315 for the rebuilt one. Labor was $271.

But it starts like a motherfucker now.
ditto, I went through two starters when I had mine replaced, well it had to be replaced because my clutch exploded :dontknow:
But the first one was bad, would start like every 10 tries.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's exactly what my car does! I'll be working on my car this weekend so I hope it's just the starter and nothing else.

·
[Insert Title]
2,870 Posts
When that happens again, instead of holding the key in Start position... try leaving it in II position and toggle back and forth between II and Start. If the car starts from that, then most likely you have a bad solenoid in the starter that only catch on to ignite at certain point. That's one way how I used to test my starters.

·
The Great One
03 Type-S
345 Posts
Hi all,

My RSX base has had some strange issues lately. This is completely random, the car will start and then sometimes it does not. It sounds like the battery is dead but its brand new, along with a new alternator. Checked them out at Advance Auto and they also stated the starter was fine... I don't really believe it. Is there anything else you think it could be aside from the battery, alternator, starter?

Please view my video and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSwgxPw8GRQ&feature=youtu.be

I had the same issue a few months back, I diagnosed the battery and alternator turned out to be fine. All in all, it was the starter. Replaced the starter and everything was fine.

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
call your local honda dealer and ask if they charge for a gr8 test. if not (most dealerships don't, but smaller ones might charge) get them to do it. it tests voltage, amps, cells, etc, for all of the electronic components. if it shows the starter is bad, and they can get a remanufactured starter for your car, i would suggest getting it. honda remanufactured parts like that tend to have a better warranty than new... 3 years 50,000 miles vs 3 year 36,000 miles. i'm a service advisor, so i always try to get reman parts... easier to sell a part that's less expensive and has a better warranty.

·
[Insert Title]
2,870 Posts
call your local honda dealer and ask if they charge for a gr8 test. if not (most dealerships don't, but smaller ones might charge) get them to do it. it tests voltage, amps, cells, etc, for all of the electronic components. if it shows the starter is bad, and they can get a remanufactured starter for your car, i would suggest getting it. honda remanufactured parts like that tend to have a better warranty than new... 3 years 50,000 miles vs 3 year 36,000 miles. i'm a service advisor, so i always try to get reman parts... easier to sell a part that's less expensive and has a better warranty.
:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts