Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i bought this car used, and it came with broken fog lights (lens). Anywho, fast forward, i replaced the lens assembly with an aftermarket one, but the fog lights still don't work. Looking under the dash board, i notice that the way it was wired up is that, there are no single pin connectors anywhere, but there is a 2 pin connector on the switch harness that goes into a 2 pin connector under the dash that was hanging freely from the vehicle harness. Basically, this is a Canadian switch harness hooked up to a Canadian vehicle.

Now, i've been trying to trouble shoot why the fog lights still don't work, and everything is wired perfectly based on what i "expect" the installation should go (everything with the American harness should be the same with the exception that rather than connecting up a single pin into the fuse box and a single pin to a connector, there's just a 2-pin going to a 2 pin connector). Is there anything else that is missing??? or any other changes from the OEM instructions for American cars compared to OEM instructions for Canadian cars that maybe i can look to see where the problem lies?

I just need more information in general, and it seems most people with Canadian cars are running with American switch harnesses as opposed to Canadian switch harnesses.

Thanks in advance!

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
I'm assuming that you have the OEM parts and not aftermarket, right?

On the US cars; I believe it's a brown plug on a green wire (or blue wire). One end goes into the fuse box under the dash. The other is in the engine bay near the battery. Assuming that everything else is in place (switch, relay, etc); it should be plug and play.

However... a lot of folks want the ability to turn on the fogs independently of the others. So they futz around with the wiring. Used car sales of the RSX seem to be plagued with folks who have not done the mods correctly... or have not correctly returned the car to stock condition before selling.

The only thing I can think of re: Canadian models having a different scheme is the DRLs. That may complicate the fog light circuit.

However... it's still a switched circuit that gets energized when the other lights (parking lights or headlights, I can't remember) are on.

I hope that some of the above will ring a bell or help with the troubleshooting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm assuming that you have the OEM parts and not aftermarket, right?

On the US cars; I believe it's a brown plug on a green wire (or blue wire). One end goes into the fuse box under the dash. The other is in the engine bay near the battery. Assuming that everything else is in place (switch, relay, etc); it should be plug and play.

However... a lot of folks want the ability to turn on the fogs independently of the others. So they futz around with the wiring. Used car sales of the RSX seem to be plagued with folks who have not done the mods correctly... or have not correctly returned the car to stock condition before selling.

The only thing I can think of re: Canadian models having a different scheme is the DRLs. That may complicate the fog light circuit.

However... it's still a switched circuit that gets energized when the other lights (parking lights or headlights, I can't remember) are on.

I hope that some of the above will ring a bell or help with the troubleshooting.
I remember all of that, with regards to the US cars. But that green wire with the brown plug that seems to run from the engine bay to near the fuse box is actually a 1-pin plug in the engine bay, and somehow a 2-pin plug under the dash near thr fuse box. There is no 1-pin plug going into the under dash fuse box.

And yes, im 90% sure irs an OEM Canadian Harness because of the switch and the fact that things seem to be installed correctly with no splicing or anything.

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
It sounds like you have a fair degree of confidence re: the wiring.

I wonder if the second pin in the engine side harness is providing a ground. If so... then it may be a blown fuse or blown lamps.

And here's kind of a shot-in-the-dark: I seem to remember an odd thing where the lamps won't work if the little lamp in the fog light switch is burned out. That never made sense to me. But I recall it from somewhere. I'm just throwing out ideas.

I'd be checking fuses and testing switches with a multi-meter. And I'd make sure the lamps are actually working. So often... fuses and lamps get blown during electrical work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like you have a fair degree of confidence re: the wiring.

I wonder if the second pin in the engine side harness is providing a ground. If so... then it may be a blown fuse or blown lamps.

And here's kind of a shot-in-the-dark: I seem to remember an odd thing where the lamps won't work if the little lamp in the fog light switch is burned out. That never made sense to me. But I recall it from somewhere. I'm just throwing out ideas.

I'd be checking fuses and testing switches with a multi-meter. And I'd make sure the lamps are actually working. So often... fuses and lamps get blown during electrical work.
Figured it out!

all Canadian RSX owners with Canadian based harnesses (meaning a single 2 pin plug as opposed to 2 seperate 1-pin plug) if you’ve wired everything correctly and the grounds are good, if your foglights arent working, chances are you are missing a fuse in the underhood fuse box, on the top right corner. I believe when the car is bought new, it is intentionally left vacant until you decide to make use of the optional connector that is taped to the vehicle harmess near the underdash fuse box (where we all expect a single pin connector blue taped to the vehicle harness). I bought a 40amp fuse from acura and placed it in the top right location of the fuse box (see attached picture). After that, fog lights lit up like a charm :) It is the greenish 40amp fuse.

Hopefully this will help someone, although its unlikely considering how old these cars are now. Shocking i didnt find this additional information anywhere else...

0D3DEBA1-38D3-49E6-ACDA-529B1C81ED6B.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts