Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Cant Install Mugen Rear Strut Bar....

2K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  dorkzracing 
#1 ·
I bought a replica mugen rear strut bar, finally got around to install it today, i have the plastic molding all cut away.

went to bolt the one side up, everything went fine... went to the 2nd side, got the top bolt in, then spent about 3 hrs trying to get the bottom bolt to go in.

ive tried everything: longer bolts, jacking the car at every jacking point, tried cutting the holes in the strut bar just a bit bigger (that didnt go well because my drill didnt do shit to the bar).... the bottom one is going in too much at an angle for the threads to grab.

wtf am i missing something? i couldnt get this damn thing on to save my life.

:firemad: :firemad: :firemad:

#2 ·
I had to thread them each a little at a time so no one side was tighter than the other. It was a pain for me too.

#3 ·
yeah, first i put the one side on, both bolts were on, not tightened...

then i did the other top one, it went on, didnt tighten that one either. went to go put the bottom one on and it wont thread.

ive taken bolts off and tried that, tried starting on the other side and still same thing.

for those of you who installed this, what jack point did you jack up in order to line everything up, and what side were you trying to bolt up?

#5 ·
unbolt the whole bar and do the bottom bolts first just enough to hold the bar.. then do the top ones on each side. Once you have them all in a lil' bit.. tighten' up the bottoms halfway, then the top ones.. then do the bottoms all the way and then the tops. Get it? hope that helps... i'll be doing mine this weeks

#8 ·
my dad actually stopped by when i was in the middle of it and tried helping, he suggested getting longer bolts. so i did and it didnt help, he tried yankin on the bar while i put the bolts in and still nothing..

i need to twist my cars body some how to get that bolt to line up

dorkzracing: GL on the install, hopefully yours goes easier than mine haha

#10 ·
try jacking up the car at different points to see if you can get it installed that way before you go try using air tools

#15 ·
i would suggest getting a dremel with a sanding tip and making all 4 holes on the strut bar a little bigger- but not too big that the bolt falls thru. thats what i ended up doing and it finally fit. Rear mugen strut is a bitch though - everyone goes throught this with the replica

#20 ·
wow either you got a messed up replica or somethings wrong with your chassis :noes: lol jk the replica might be a bad one from the batch, mine didn't match up the best but still was pretty easy to install, just get all 4 bolts hand threaded in then start tightening them a little at a time, kinda like doing the subframe bolts.

#21 ·
FINALLY!

i got it installed! i had to drill the holes just a little bit bigger... my drill i have in my house wasnt heavy duty enough, so i used an air drill... drilled each one out just a tad, lifted the one side up with a jack and BAM! muthafucka was in! haha

thanks for all your help guys! ill be postin pics in another thread of all my recent mods!

#22 · (Edited)
Actually, if you unbolt that bracket, it will line up. Friend of mine had the same problem. The piece you are bolting the bar to is just a brace that is tied to the floor and side of the chassis. If you follow that brace down to the seats(bottom seat), you'll notice two more bolts that hold it. Just unbolt it and you can line everything up. Great you had it on. Just for future reference for others doing the same.

#23 ·
Actually, if you unbolt that bracket, it will line up. Friend of mine had the same problem. The piece you are bolting the bar to is just a brace that is tie to the floor and side of the chassis. If you follow that brace down to the seats(bottom seat), you'll notice two more bolts that hold it. Just unbolt it and you can line everything up. Great you had it on. Just for future reference for others doing the same.
If only you had posted this a little sooner haha... thanks tho! yeah, this is great for future reference :thumbsup:

#24 ·
OMG IM STRUGGLING WITH THIS! i cant cant the top one on the driver side to thread!

#27 ·
hey i know this is sorta a different topic and all but i am about to order the front replica strut bar and im considering getting the rear as well. Is it even worth it? Will i notice a difference with the rear bar in?

JoshJ do you notice a difference in any good ways with this bar?

thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.