Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I rear ended an SUV a while ago and because my car sits lower, the only
thing that was damaged was the hood. The hood is bent in and I am having a hard time trying to open it, so I can replace the battery (battery died). I can't take my car to the shop because my car won't start and I don't feel like paying for towing. Any suggestions on how I can get this damn hood to open?? I've tried popping the hood open and messing with the latch. I was thinking of trying to tie a string around the lever so I can pull it open and release it from the latch (if that's even possible). Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Did you try having someone pull up while you pull the inside lever?

Its very possible that the cable came undone. See if you can manually reach up in there and move the latch over... A string would be a good idea.

Good luck man :thumbsup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, thanks for the quick reply guys. I'm at school so I'm gonna try the string idea when I get back.

The hood and lights where the only things damaged during the accident if that helps. The grill/bumper is fine. When i rear ended the SUV my car kind of got wedged underneath and the only damage done was to the lights and hood.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i just spent the past 2 hours trying everything possible to get this hood to open and i'm still stuck at square 1. Ive tried tying a string around the latch and pulling it towards the driver side headlight, and the latch wont budge. Ive tried jamming a really long screw driver in between the latch and the square hook underneath the hood and trying to pry it open, wont budge. how do mechanics at the body shop get the hood open when the cars been in an accident? I'm convinced that they use some kind of special tool/technique to seperate the latch from the hook.

By the way, the hood latch pull inside of the car beneath the steering wheel doesnt do anything. I suppose the cable is busted, but theres no "tension/pull" when i pull the little hood button.

VERY frustrated, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the hood definitely has to go, it's beyond repair. I have a OEM seibon CF hood coming in this monday. The only thing is, I can't get to the shop because my battery is dead and towing will end up being another 100-200 out of my pocket, and id like to avoid that option if possible.

The dremel idea would work, but I wonder if i would be able to find one small/thin enough to fit between the hood and the grill. I can barely squeeze my hands through the opening.

Im really curious as to how body shops get bent/crumpled hoods open after an accident. Anyone else with some suggestions please give some input!

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
Yeah, the hood definitely has to go, it's beyond repair. I have a OEM seibon CF hood coming in this monday. The only thing is, I can't get to the shop because my battery is dead and towing will end up being another 100-200 out of my pocket, and id like to avoid that option if possible.

The dremel idea would work, but I wonder if i would be able to find one small/thin enough to fit between the hood and the grill. I can barely squeeze my hands through the opening.

Im really curious as to how body shops get bent/crumpled hoods open after an accident. Anyone else with some suggestions please give some input!
Just hack it up urself

sawzall!

·
Car Is Sold!
6,315 Posts
Have you tried to push start it? That way you can drive it to the body shop and give them the new battery and let them change it when they fix the rest of the car.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My hood wouldn't open because when I had the front cross brace off (which holds the latch), the hood latch release cable fell out of it's keeper. The ball at the end of the cable was still attached to the latch. After a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth I was able to get my arm up from the bottom along the driver's side of the latch and pull the cable with my finger. I didn't have to try but this might work even if the cable was off if you could get a grip on the latch arm where the cable ball goes. In your case with the damaged hood it might help if someone pulled up and down on the hood while you try to release it from below. My arm looked like I was in a catfight when I was done. Jeez does Acura put razor edges on everything or what!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts