Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
VTEC Connoisseur
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching but if you type in "gear" all it comes up with is a bunch of random posts that don't pertain to my issue. So I've got a small problem. I can't reach 3rd gear. I had 3rd gear one day then while driving I threw it in 3rd and it was another neutral. FML. Well a few more attempts and eventually it went into 3rd just fine. Then it disappeared again. Now it just feels like I'm not pushing the shifter far enough. Occasionally I'll push it to 3rd and it will grind because it won't fully seat in the gear and the other times it's a neutral. I don't know too much about trannies but my guess is I might need new shift cables and bushings. Hopefully my third gear isn't shot. Any ideas y'all?

Also about 5 years ago when I got the car it had a rare 3rd gear pop out but switching to amsoil syncromesh fixed that and I haven't had the problem since

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,198 Posts
So have you changed the transmission fluid since 5 years ago? I'd try that first, but if was all of a sudden you had no 3rd as opposed to more and more resistance and popping out, then... maybe your 3rd gear is shot. But, it could just be the syncros. Have you ever done clutchless shifting? It's pure revmatching only -- no clutch. If you know how to do this (I guess now would be hard time to learn... 3rd and 4th are the easiest ones to try), then you could determine whether it's just your synchros or your actual 3rd gear. If you could shift it into 3rd that way, you'd know it's just your syncros. However, it might be very difficult to do without the aid of the syncros helping you. If successful though, you'd know your 3rd gear still works at least. Still, fluid is the cheapest thing

1 - 2 of 2 Posts