Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hit a median today in a parking lot. should i report to insurance as my fault, or as a hit and run? will it matter? i know either way ill have to pay the deductible, but will the way i report it affect the rise in premium?

·
JWOWWWW
94,387 Posts
what actually happened to the car?

·
Fly NAVY!!
4,531 Posts
I would figure out how much the damage is first. If it is less than or equal to your deductible, I would pay out of pocket so you don't even get the insurance involved. If it is MUCH more than your deductible, then you might want to go through insurance (but may show up on a carfax).

The last thing I would do is lie to the insurance company...I think they'd suspect fraud without a police report. Also their adjuster probably knows the difference b/w "hit a stationary object" damage and "hit and run" damage.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would figure out how much the damage is first. If it is less than or equal to your deductible, I would pay out of pocket so you don't even get the insurance involved. If it is MUCH more than your deductible, then you might want to go through insurance (but may show up on a carfax).

The last thing I would do is lie to the insurance company...I think they'd suspect fraud without a police report. Also their adjuster probably knows the difference b/w "hit a stationary object" damage and "hit and run" damage.
Good idea, I definitely think this will show up on car fax because ill have to replace the right door, and the rear fender. I'm estimating maybe 1k? I have a $500 deductible, which means I'll have to pay 500+, and also face higher monthly premiums.

I was driving slowly, and was trying to go into a parking spot right in front of the median. I didnt turn as quickly as I should have, partly because the damn steering ratio is so short, and ended up scrapping the side.

Either way I'm screwed..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts