Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
P500 Sport
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im heading home yesterday and it was pouring cats and dogs, viability was about 2 cars. Roads were were alittle flooded, nothing to be concerned about even with a CAI. But then when I go to make a right-hand turn onto another street, flooded like crazy (about 2 feet deep). So I try to coast thru it with minimal throttle when I started to come to a stop, about 1/3 into the turn, my car died...just shut off..no power what so ever. Pushed it into the nearest parking lot (while standing in 2 feet of water). First thing I did was feel my CAI filter....soaking wet. Let the rain die down, let thing dry out a bit (wires), and try to turn it over...real weak battery. Get out the jumper cables, let charge for 5 minutes...1 crank and dies. 10 more minutes...2 cranks and dies. 15 more minutes...2 cranks and dies. Call a flat bed and towed to my house (out of road side assistance period). Put a fan on it for a few hours and tried to jump it again...after 30 minutes of charging 2 cranks and dies. Radio stations reset and driver side window; non-auto. Pulled dip stick and normal oil consistency. So I dont think I hydro locked (/me knocks on wood). The battery doesnt seem to want to take the charge. So now it has a fan on it drying out more until I get home (9 hour duration) which should be fully dry by then. If it wont take a jump; get a new battery.......any other suggestions?

:sigh:

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
New battery and check all the fuses in the car. The other possibility is that you also shorted out the starter motor by submerging it, but you won't be able to check that until you put in a good battery.

·
Registered
95,893 Posts
You sucked in water into the intake and possible hydrolock! You need to take off the intake from the throttle body, open the throttle body butterfly, and then hope you can get the water to evaporate away. Once it all evaporates away, then hope that there is no damage, and it starts up.

This is what happens when you lightly hydrolock it. If you didn't completely hydrolock it then you just need to get the water to evaporate out of it.

Good job on going through with light throttle, that's the way you save it. Now lets hope there's no damage.

·
P500 Sport
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You sucked in water into the intake and possible hydrolock! You need to take off the intake from the throttle body, open the throttle body butterfly, and then hope you can get the water to evaporate away. Once it all evaporates away, then hope that there is no damage, and it starts up.

This is what happens when you lightly hydrolock it. If you didn't completely hydrolock it then you just need to get the water to evaporate out of it.

Good job on going through with light throttle, that's the way you save it. Now lets hope there's no damage.
How would this effect the battery/charging aspect? I though when you hydro-locked, it just turns over but never starts..<off to read some hydro_lock threads).

·
Calvin
1,195 Posts
hey mike, you probably hydrolocked, do not try to crank it, take the plugs out and dissconnect the injectors.

Then try to start the car with the plugs out you should see water come out.

If you hydrolocked.

I would still change the oil.

Call me if you need help ill come over.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
thats why you called me in class last night, yea, stop trying to crank it, remove plugs and either let it sit for a long time or try to turn it over, change oil asap, maybe remove oil pan just to take a look around. youre welcome to my craftsman low rise jack and jack stands (for a fee) j/k. Call me if you need me, ill be studying for a test

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
its like a dozen or two bolts and some hondabond. With the amount of times he tried to crank it and it died, id be highly suprised if something isnt damaged. I say make sure youre insurance is in order.

·
P500 Sport
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Status update:

New Battery <wouldn't take a charge>
New Spark Plugs <was due>
New Oil Filter
Oil Change

In Order:
Removed plugs; no water/mist
Changed oil/filter/plugs/battery
Cranked it over; ruff idle but it ran
let it idle for a bit so if any water in the intake would evaporate
rev'd past 2k...bogged out and died
Calvin said: the angle of the AEM CAI might house water in the lower section.
You were correct sir, about 1 1/2 cups or water to be exact
Let idle for 15 minutes again, tried to rev past 2k...3k...3500..started to bog a bit
Called it a night since I was semi-happy I didnt need a new motor (might still..but looking positive for me @least at this point)

Tomorrow: remove plugs again, see if any water/mist comes out
Let idle for a bit longer and see if I can rev higher

Other than that, im not sure as to where more water might be. Isnt there a plaate on the bottom for the IM? Maybe remove that and see if any water has settles in there..too much maybe to evaporate... :dontknow:

its like a dozen or two bolts and some hondabond. With the amount of times he tried to crank it and it died, id be highly suprised if something isnt damaged. I say make sure youre insurance is in order.
REmoving the oil pan is easy, it's the hondabond that is a bitch. Very time consuming and odd angle to have to be at for that long of a time...done it twice. If I do it again, it WILL be worth it ;).

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,087 Posts
Lesson Learned

Don't drive with a CAI in heavy rain

Has anyone ever posted that statment before?

·
no time to drive the RSX
6,838 Posts
Sounds exactly what happenned to my friend, but your outcome is better. = I friend's EP3 ran for a week or so after sucking in water than blew the motor a week later. Make sure you check the compression in each cylinder.
Good luck & I wish u the best.

·
Registered
95,893 Posts
Let the record show, I said it first on the thread. I don't want to have to say I told you so, but I'm sure glad your on top of it now. Good luck.

+rep for me? If your motor is A++ then more +rep for me?

Edit: Wait, you need +rep, I just hit with some.

·
Gotta Pay 2 Play =\
583 Posts
Damn, you drove through 2 feet of water with a CAI?! I dont even go through it if it is more than a few inches!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Damn, you drove through 2 feet of water with a CAI?! I dont even go through it if it is more than a few inches!
Yeah, 10 inches was all I needed to shut down. Driving on Highway 24 west of Jacksonville, NC, right before the Interstate 40 access road. Roads were flooded the next day after heavy rain, cops were there, everybody was driving through the middle, but still like 8-10 inches of water so I made it halfway through until I bogged down and died (CAI filter is right where the left fog light would be, and my car is lowered). Had to get towed out of the water by a Ford truck (ugh!) by my strut tower brace (since front of car was underwater and couldn't access/find tow hooks. I let it sit for 20 min or so and it started up, blew water out the exhaust for 5-10 min whenever I rev'd it and went on my way when it stopped blowing water. This happened right after I got it (less than a week) and 8 months/19,000 miles later, no problems yet.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts