Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
cole world
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at the beginning of jan. i broke my ankle and couldnt drive my car for 2 months. now that i can drive my car again, ive noticed how fucked up my braking feels. when i apply the brakes with my foot, i feel a little bumpiness in the pedal and the steering wheel jiggles a bit and it can sometimes feel like coming to a bumpy stop when braking hard.

could it by that i need an alignment or is it for sure something to do with my brakes (such as needing to replace the brake pads.)

thanks in advance

·
cole world
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, and also when i am applying breaks on a really bumpy surface or while going over bumps/bumpyroad, the brakes seem to do this more and seem to have a harder time braking

·
touge runner
977 Posts
could be your abs. The nice civics were known to have this problem. It should feel like the brakes are kinda go on off on off real quick or slow for your mattter and braking isnt as good right? you should take that to a dealer cuz u can get in a seroius accident. I might be wrong but thats what it sounds like hope it helps.

·
cole world
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rotors are warped, you can either have them turned and replace the pads or get new rotors and new pads.
how would this have happened?

·
cole world
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it warps over time no matter what
is this normal? i have a little under 60k miles on my car and i've replaced the brake pads once.

what are solutions you guys took for this? new rotors or jus flipped them or whatnot. how much money am i lookin at spendin?

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
if u read my statement.. you would have gotten that yes it is normal.. and second.. u can do 2 things.. u can have them resurfaced or flipped... OR u can buy new ones.. how much does it cost? i dont know.. havent had to do mine yet

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
If your paying... Just get new ones... I had mine resurfaced on my last prelude and when they gave me the bill I shit my pants and threw it at them... it woulda cost a fraction more to just replace...

They ended up warping again anyway

·
Registered
612 Posts
brakes warp because of the heat they generate. Yea its probably best to just replace the rotors and pads. From what it sounds like, you replaced the pads before without turning or replacing the rotors? you should always turn or replace the rotors when doing brakes. Whether you replace them or not depends on whether or not they are within spec because your rotors will wear thin.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The brake rotor can become "warped" or have an uneven or high spot on the surface due to normal wear and tear. It can also warp because of expansion and contraction of the metal disc rotor due to driving through a puddle of water on the exit ramp after a long trip on the freeway then applying the brakes, or due to severely worn out brake pads that have been grinding metal to metal on the brake rotor, thus cutting grooves in the rotor surface.

So what can be done to correct this problem? The brake rotor can be removed from the car and "turned" where the mechanic uses a special piece of equipment to shave off a small layer of the brake rotor to make the surface smooth and "true" or even again. The brake rotor will have a limit to how much of the material can be removed or shaved off, and this minimum thickness is stamped on the rotor for the mechanic to see. If the rotor is below minimum thickness specifications, it will have to be replaced.

No I don't talk like that, it was quoted from a website.

·
cole world
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the info guys. hopefully i can take my car to a shop over spring break

·
Registered
6 Posts

I don't have the bumpy feel on my breaks but I have a somewhat similar problem.

A few weeks ago my car got stuck on a bank of snow, driver side/front wheel was stuck about a foot in the air for about 45 min as I tried to dig it out. Also, I recently got my wheels rotated right after this happened.

Now when I drive, I hear a screeching noise, sounds like a break pad that has gone bad but its whenever I'm driving, not just braking. Anyone have any idea what the problem is, and how much I might be paying to get this fixed?

Giving the car a quick jerk to the passenger side corrects this for a few seconds then teh screeching comes back. Also, it groans loudly when I reverse and turn my wheel.

Did they mess up my car when I got my tires roated, or did i screw myself w/ the snow?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts