Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Form - Function
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys:

Over the past the year I have been doing various work on the car. Today I finally went to start it and nothing...I am getting fuel, but absolutely no spark (I checked by grounding the plugs). I have checked all relative fuses and the all turned out fine. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips?

I would like to add that a couple weeks back I had the VC powder coated. When I reinstalled it, I had a crazy grounding issue due to the powder coat; the dash would freak out and absolutely no ECU signal...I quickly realized the problem and found a clean, rough surface to ground the engine harness. Do you think that this could have damaged the K-Pro and I am now experiencing the aftermath? The reason I ask is because I read a thread on here where the member had what seemed to be a perfectly working K-Pro, but was getting no spark. When the member sent his K-Pro in to Hondata for inspection, they determined it was fried.

Any input or troubleshooting tips are greatly appreciated!

Things I have checked:

Spark plugs (no spark)
Fuses (all good)
Grounds (all clean and secure)

· Wiring is <3
637 Posts
I did both. I erased the ECU, re-uploaded the tune, and tried disabling the immobliser. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on an OEM ECU to test it.
where did you put the engine harness ground? make sure you put it on the cylinder head itself and not the valve cover or intake manifold.

Also, is the cylinder head grounded to the chasis as well?

grab a volt meter and test the wires going to coil pack.

middle wire (black) is power ground, test for continuity

Black/white wire is 12v to a fuse. Check for voltage with key to ignition.

If these are good, then the signal would be to blame.

Could also be a sync issue if crank sensor or cam sensor are out since they control when to spark. Worth a mention

· Form - Function
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so I checked the wires and here's the result: the middle ground is good, BLK/WHT wire is no good. I turned the car to accessories and the BLK/WHT wire is getting no voltage reading...

· Wiring is <3
637 Posts
I also checked to see if Fuse # 1, located at under-dash fuse box, was getting power with Ignition On...it is. However, the coils are getting no juice.
Make sure your C101 connector (grey connector on the engine harness inside the car) is fully plugged in. That connector sends the power to your coils, and also other things.

Also try this... take your volt meter and set it to continuity, put one probe to the black white wire, and put the other probe to the c101 connector on the 20th position (looking in wire side, tab facing up) and listen for a buzz. Might be c101 10th pos, cant remember, but its one of those.

If you dont hear a buzz, there might be a break in the wire. Do you have a "milspec" harness?

· Form - Function
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have a milspec harness. I found that I am getting no power with key to ignition at the coil terminal to engine harness. I have power at the under-dash fuse box, but not at the engine harness. I jumped the wire and gave the coils 12v off another source and the car started...

· Wiring is <3
637 Posts
I do have a milspec harness. I found that I am getting no power with key to ignition at the coil terminal to engine harness. I have power at the under-dash fuse box, but not at the engine harness. I jumped the wire and gave the coils 12v off another source and the car started...
Does your harness have a cannon plug at the firewall?

im wondering if one of the contacts inside the cannon gave out or maybe a bad splice. I would keep checking fuses, but a bad splice might be the issue worst case scenario

EDIT: misread your message, well then there might be a break in the wire between the fuse box to the c101 connector. you can check for continuity

· Form - Function
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I unplugged the 15amp fuse at #1 located in under-dash fuse box and plugged in an Add-a-Circuit. I put that line directly to terminal on the gray female connector that plugs to the ECU...working perfect now. I guess that line must have a bad splice.

· Wiring is <3
637 Posts
I unplugged the 15amp fuse at #1 located in under-dash fuse box and plugged in an Add-a-Circuit. I put that line directly to terminal on the gray female connector that plugs to the ECU...working perfect now. I guess that line must have a bad splice.
Glad you found the issue. Time for a full tefzel /32 dash harness ;)

· Registered
9 Posts
When you say grey plug do you mean the grey one that’s directly on the ecu or the long grey one that connects to ecu aswell? I’m having this issue now. Also did you connect it to any terminal or the terminal where the blck/white wire for coils is ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts