Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Changing lives...
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car's hatch and rear bumper got keyed and is destroyed. my friend said that insurance will 90% of the time, cover vandal acts and i want to see who has done this thru insurance and give me a step by step guide as to what i should do. please help. thanks

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
my car's hatch and rear bumper got keyed and is destroyed. my friend said that insurance will 90% of the time, cover vandal acts and i want to see who has done this thru insurance and give me a step by step guide as to what i should do. please help. thanks
man i feel for ya. i think my car got hit with a base ball bat or something the other day. A big ass dent appeared after i got back out of a restaurant in a bad neighborhood. And my deductible is at 1000 bucks (to keep my monthly bill down) and the damage is only like 500 so im on my own.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Insurance is about the only way to go...my car got keyed hella bad down the pass side across the trunck and on the roof. Someone also decided to crack eggs over my vindows that were cracked (summer time hot ass seats) ruined my pass seat and carpet. The stupid ass whoever did it did over 5G's damage to my car. I filed a police report, claim with progressive, 3 weeks and $500 later i had my car.

Most insurance companies will just file it as a comprehensive claim, thats what mine did. Its really the only way to get it taken care of. Good luck gettin it fixed!

·
Changing lives...
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Insurance is about the only way to go...my car got keyed hella bad down the pass side across the trunck and on the roof. Someone also decided to crack eggs over my vindows that were cracked (summer time hot ass seats) ruined my pass seat and carpet. The stupid ass whoever did it did over 5G's damage to my car. I filed a police report, claim with progressive, 3 weeks and $500 later i had my car.

Most insurance companies will just file it as a comprehensive claim, thats what mine did. Its really the only way to get it taken care of. Good luck gettin it fixed!
whats a comprehensive claim? im not sure where to go. im getting a police report done as we speak. where do i go from there? after the report is filed, do i call my insurance and tell them what happened? what do i even say to them to try to get insurance to cover it?

·
Love ///My new car
2,725 Posts
whats a comprehensive claim? im not sure where to go. im getting a police report done as we speak. where do i go from there? after the report is filed, do i call my insurance and tell them what happened? what do i even say to them to try to get insurance to cover it?
comprehensive is a kind of claim just like a collision, uninsured motorist, liability etc. it usually has a very low deductable (I set mine to a low as possible because it only causes like a 2$ increase in my premium but saves me hundreds if I ever use it which I have).

just go to your agent or call them up and tell them what happened, they'll cut you a check to an estimate or fix it at their body shop depending on how they do things.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
look up your insurance policy and see how much your comprehensive deductible is...if it's 1k, it might not even be worth to file the claim. Usually costs $300/per panel of re-painting, 2 panel is $600 worth of dmg. Btw, generally 2 major type of claim, collision = crash, comprehensive = everything else (w/ some exceptions).

·
www.magtuning.com
15,007 Posts
How about you call your insurance company, lower your deductible, wait a day or two, file a police report and then report it to your insurance company, once everything is said and done, raise your deductible again..

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
lol ya, insurance assessors do this for a living, they probably seen all the scams. If you're even thinking about doing that, I guess don't file the report yet, wait a few months to file the report and the claim.

·
Changing lives...
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just called the insurance company. i have a 500 deductable under comprehensive, so i still gotta fork out 500 either way. is there another way around this!?

·
Love ///My new car
2,725 Posts
just called the insurance company. i have a 500 deductable under comprehensive, so i still gotta fork out 500 either way. is there another way around this!?
damn 500:eek: I dunno, try uninsured motorist claim? I know my agent will work with me on stuff like towing reimbursement even if it costs more than the umbrella covers. whatever you do after this go sit down and lower that deductable to 50 and maybe adjust something like collision up a level to even that out. I went in and saved a lot of money on my car insurance just adjusting deductables. they can tell you what lowering one changes per 6 months/per month so you can weigh the risk/reward on money saved vs deductable. I figure if I use collision its either not my fault or I'm going out in a burning wreck so I keep that deductable high. I keep comprehensive as low as possible cause I shouldn't have to pay for someone else doing crap to my car.

again, talk to them and see what they can do, they want to help you or they should want to. maybe STREAKER can chime in, he's in the insurance industry

·
Changing lives...
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i would do that but the claim adjuster is going to look at my car and verify the amount of damage and sign off on the estimate. if its crazy high, im sure he'll know something is up

1 - 20 of 30 Posts