Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GO BLUE!!!
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its particularly cold here and i'd like to get all the crummy salt off my car and its too cold to hand wash it... What do these car washes do to prevent any damage from teh stuff freezing on my car?

Also if you go to your car dealer will they give you a free wash or is that only the dealer where i bought my car (bring in for service and get a free wash)...

Basically what should i do, i want it washed will i hurt it?

·
Registered
637 Posts
geldrop said:
its particularly cold here and i'd like to get all the crummy salt off my car and its too cold to hand wash it... What do these car washes do to prevent any damage from teh stuff freezing on my car?

Also if you go to your car dealer will they give you a free wash or is that only the dealer where i bought my car (bring in for service and get a free wash)...

Basically what should i do, i want it washed will i hurt it?

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=126219

There is no way I would allow the dealer to touch my car.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
Unfortunetly, the QEW doesn't work very well when it's that cold out as the water/mitt/drying cloth will freeze. I know for me I can't bring my car into a garage to wash, I have to do it outside in the cold frigid windy weather. I was able to use QEW this weekend but it wasn't very easy (due to the above mentioned...if freezing wasn't an issue, the product works great!) and it won't get the salt off from underneath the body or in the wheel wells really.

Take it to a wash-it-yourself wash if you can. Those are great and really the only thing I would use other than the QEW. Sometimes I think it's better just to risk a few minor scratches at a car wash than to let the salt sit on it all winter season eating at the paint. I haven't gone this route, but that thought has crossed my mind. As soon as clean my car, the next day it's white again...it's a bit disheartening. :( Thankfully only a few more weeks of winter left! :) :)

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
Oh, and I think most Acura dealers will wash for free, but I also wouldn't let them touch my car. Usually it's some kid out back doing a lousy job not caring if his clothes rub against your paint, etc. No way!!! :laughing:

·
Registered
637 Posts
If it is <15, then wouldn't the water at the DIY, just freeze as you rinse? I guess if I couldn't borrow a garage to QEW, I would just have to move! :laughing: This may actually be one the only benefits of living in Memphis. We really don't see really harsh winters.

·
i &#10084; macro.
15,894 Posts
I think there is some heat inside the DIY'ers. I went to one when it was freezing outside, and I was fine.

Northeast sucks during winter!!!

·
3709 in the Hizouse
615 Posts
QEW works great, but unfortunately everyone is right about the freezing issue. I have taken my car to the dealer a lot this winter. Since it is sooooo damn cold here, the regular wash is frozen, so they were doing them all by hand at the dealer. They know me well enough there and I go in back while they wash it. The guy doing it was so nervous that he spent a lot of extra time making sure it was perfect.

I've done it at the dealer before and have only gotten a extremely small clearcoat mark one time. I brought it right to their attention and the manager immediately had my car buffed.

It sucks that the only option is to take it to someone else to wash, but it is better than having salt eat away at the car. only a few weeks left.

·
GO BLUE!!!
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does salt actually "eat" away at paint??? I wish someone would definitivly know....

I want all the salt off, arrr i hate it so much, but whats the point when it will just get salty again.

·
GO BLUE!!!
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also why not just bring it to a car wash for 5 dollars they ARE touchless whats so terrible about them just for rinsing salt off?

·
i &#10084; macro.
15,894 Posts
geldrop said:
does salt actually "eat" away at paint??? I wish someone would definitivly know....

I want all the salt off, arrr i hate it so much, but whats the point when it will just get salty again.
Yes, salt will eat at your paint, maybe not overnight but it will do damage in the longrun.

What's the point of washing it when it's just going to get salty again, you ask? That's like asking why you should brush your teeth daily. For one, you'd have very high dental bills if you sat around waiting for cavities to develop. Same concept.

·
3709 in the Hizouse
615 Posts
EternalBlue said:
Yes, salt will eat at your paint, maybe not overnight but it will do damage in the longrun.

What's the point of washing it when it's just going to get salty again, you ask? That's like asking why you should brush your teeth daily. For one, you'd have very high dental bills if you sat around waiting for cavities to develop. Same concept.

Excellent way to put it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just washed my car today. It wasn't that bad cause today was actually near normal temperatures (38F). Tomorrow, it'll be cold again but I dont have touch water but do have to clean, polish, and wax. That won't be that bad, I'll use mittens. I couldn't use the DIY places cause it was closed for some reason :dontknow: . Then to make matters worse, I couldn't find my hose. Then I used the bucket method. I carried bucket after bucket of water to wash my car. :lame: In the end it took me about an HOUR!!!! to wash a mid-sized sedan!! But it was all clean looking and no more salt-covered car. Then I started to polish and wax the rear end of my car. But I looked in horror at what 6 months of not washing did to my car; soooooooooooo much tree sap...... And I don't even have a clay bar. So i'll try my best removing it tomorrow.

·
yawn..
22,903 Posts
mistaclean said:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=126219

There is no way I would allow the dealer to touch my car.
I've over come the fact that I don't let people wash my car. I take it to my dealership and they clean it off. And i've been watching how they clean it etc.

I would not pull a stunt wit the hose-less washing because all you're doing it rubbing the particles into your paint... it's like rubbing sand paper on your paint [hence the swirls] I would always hose the car down and use something that is very clean to get anything off the car.

if you must use that method of indoor car washing, use very long strokes very even, make sure the clothe is perfectly flat and use strokes in the direction of which wind would hit.. so the hood would be up toward the windshield and down. The sides would be left to right.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Down_Shift said:
I've over come the fact that I don't let people wash my car. I take it to my dealership and they clean it off. And i've been watching how they clean it etc.

I would not pull a stunt wit the hose-less washing because all you're doing it rubbing the particles into your paint... it's like rubbing sand paper on your paint [hence the swirls] I would always hose the car down and use something that is very clean to get anything off the car.

if you must use that method of indoor car washing, use very long strokes very even, make sure the clothe is perfectly flat and use strokes in the direction of which wind would hit.. so the hood would be up toward the windshield and down. The sides would be left to right.
While I appreciate you concern, most around here will vouch for the fact that I am well versed in the detailing world and would therefore NEVER recommend ANYTHING that would mar, swirl, or damage their paint in anyway. I just simply would not do it, this is what I do, I live, breath, and sleep paint care.

About the dealer, if you have gotten over the fact that someone else can touch your paint, more power to you. I will never get over that, never, it is just me. Especially a dealer, I work everyday with the dealer "detailers" not just Acura, but audi, mercedes, BMW, etc. There is not ONE that I would allow to touch my paint. In the long run, the volume just gets to them. Combine that with lack of knowledge and passion and you have a very bad situation, IMO anyway.

·
yawn..
22,903 Posts
mistaclean said:
While I appreciate you concern, most around here will vouch for the fact that I am well versed in the detailing world and would therefore NEVER recommend ANYTHING that would mar, swirl, or damage their paint in anyway. I just simply would not do it, this is what I do, I live, breath, and sleep paint care.

About the dealer, if you have gotten over the fact that someone else can touch your paint, more power to you. I will never get over that, never, it is just me. Especially a dealer, I work everyday with the dealer "detailers" not just Acura, but audi, mercedes, BMW, etc. There is not ONE that I would allow to touch my paint. In the long run, the volume just gets to them. Combine that with lack of knowledge and passion and you have a very bad situation, IMO anyway.

I guess i'm just forunate enough to have someone i know at acura that takes care of my car heh. Swirls will happen no matter what you do, the trick is to keep them from coming up prematurely.

The acura/honda paint has the cheapest clear coat compared to cars like benz and bmw. It's a very thin layer. Take your nail and run it across the paint of a blue/red rsx and you will notice that you have just made small marks on your clear coat [these can be buffed]

Detailers don't clean your car, they hide the imperfections. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Down_Shift said:
I guess i'm just forunate enough to have someone i know at acura that takes care of my car heh. Swirls will happen no matter what you do, the trick is to keep them from coming up prematurely.

The acura/honda paint has the cheapest clear coat compared to cars like benz and bmw. It's a very thin layer. Take your nail and run it across the paint of a blue/red rsx and you will notice that you have just made small marks on your clear coat [these can be buffed]

Detailers don't clean your car, they hide the imperfections. :thumbsup:
While I agree that Honda doesn't have the highest quality paint in the business, it certainly isn't the worst. And unless you are talking about the new ceramic clear which is being used currently on a few thousand mercedes, most clear at the OEM is the same. It is ALL very thin. The paint underneath as well as the process certainly varies which is why some paint looks better than others, but the clear is all thin;Millimeters thin.

Swirls will not happen "no matter what." Improper washing and drying tools, as well as improper buffing techniques cause swirls.

A true detailer can certainly REMOVE swirls. People who lack knowledge cover them with glazes. Why do you think that detailers only cover them?

·
i &#10084; macro.
15,894 Posts
On a side note, I washed my car at one of those DIY places last weekend, it wasn't exactly clean. So my b/f takes the absorber and starts rubbing it across the paint. I was pissed. But I f'ing hate winter and I have reached a point where I don't even give a crap. Since winter began I've gotten a dent on my door that some idiot created and paint that probably looks bad from all the salt, despite my best efforts.

I can't wait till the spring when I can thoroughly wash it myself and inspect what winter has done to it...after shedding a few tears, of course. :(

·
yada, yada
1,917 Posts
geldrop said:

Salt actually eats metal from the inside out which causes the paint to blister from the metal...all the more reason to get Krown or similar product and get paint chips filled and sealed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts