Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Im a owner of a EP3 2004.
My car suddenly wont start. It worked fine, parked it for 15 minutes to get my daughter and when I tried to start it again, the engine wont fire up.

This were a few month ago, and now I started to work on it. I checked my spark plugs and they looked fine but they were dry, even after I tried to initiate. I have checked the immobilizer (on dashboard), and its not it. I can also hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to ON.

Any ideas?

Sorry for my bad english tho, Im from Sweden. :)

Sincerely
Aljon

·
Registered
671 Posts
So you have power, correct... but engine won't turn over to crank? Have you checked all your fuses? Any recent repairs or work done to the car prior to this problem?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi, thanks for the video, first I thought the engine wasn't turning over, but it was just my crappy speakers. I noticed it when I saw the serpentine belt turning. Anyway...is the check engine light on in your dash? If so it'd give you a good direction to start in.

If not check your coil packs, spark plugs, and wiring harness particularly on the back end of the motor. It gets pretty hot and nasty back there sometimes, and causes frays, and shorts in the harness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi, thanks for the video, first I thought the engine wasn't turning over, but it was just my crappy speakers. I noticed it when I saw the serpentine belt turning. Anyway...is the check engine light on in your dash? If so it'd give you a good direction to start in.

If not check your coil packs, spark plugs, and wiring harness particularly on the back end of the motor. It gets pretty hot and nasty back there sometimes, and causes frays, and shorts in the harness.
Nope, check engine light is not on, no faulty codes what so ever.

I checked today if I got any sparks, and it seemed OK I think, I made a video of it too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij9s51S6Rdk

I'm useless on cars, total rookie-mechanic :) But gonna look harder after wiring harness. The car worked all fine on that day, I just parked it for 15-20 minutes and then it didnt want to start anylonger. :(

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah your getting spark, and I'll guess you checked for fuel too, since you checked for spark. Reading back I don't see anywhere that you might have checked your fuses. Especially the ECU (15amp) fuse under the hood. I know if that blows your engine won't start and it won't throw a code either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah your getting spark, and I'll guess you checked for fuel too, since you checked for spark. Reading back I don't see anywhere that you might have checked your fuses. Especially the ECU (15amp) fuse under the hood. I know if that blows your engine won't start and it won't throw a code either.
I have now checked all fuses, and none is blown. Damn, it feels like its outta my hands now :(

Its just so strange that it worked and then 15 minutes later, all dead. How about problems with main relays and/or crankshaft sensor on EP3s? I know that main relay is behind the glovebox but where is the sensor?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah...if it was your main relay you wouldn't here the fuel pump come on.

The crank shaft sensor is located on the back bottom corner of the motor directly above the oil pan. It's the last plug last sensor on the harness. This area is specific to where I had mentioned to check on your harness.

Couple months back I had to splice a new plug on to the harness for the crank position sensor, cause it was melted, not sure how? Only thing that has me questionable is that you should get a code from the crank sensor...but a bad sensor or anything of that nature could be the reason behind the no start.

definitely got my curiosity, keep me posted. GL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah...if it was your main relay you wouldn't here the fuel pump come on.

The crank shaft sensor is located on the back bottom corner of the motor directly above the oil pan. It's the last plug last sensor on the harness. This area is specific to where I had mentioned to check on your harness.

Couple months back I had to splice a new plug on to the harness for the crank position sensor, cause it was melted, not sure how? Only thing that has me questionable is that you should get a code from the crank sensor...but a bad sensor or anything of that nature could be the reason behind the no start.

definitely got my curiosity, keep me posted. GL
Thanks, I'll sure keep you updated. What happens if disconnect the sensor and tries to start? Also, is there a distrubator on EP3?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Heres an update:
I had a guy with hondata-equipment and we scanned the whole system. We got a permanently error on the crank shaft sensor, it didnt get any contact what so ever with the sensor. So it seems like its it.

Can anyone point out exactly where the sensor is located? On a picture or something? Is this right -> (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/bigbalashotcala0/media/0705091849.jpg.html)? I have ordered a new sensor from ebay, hopefully I will get it next wednesday. I hope that will fix it :)
Oh one more thing, is it hard to replace? It looks easy tho but best to check with you guys first :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I got no signal from my crankshaft sensor when we looked it up with a computer. I ordered a new one (used but in mint condition), plugged out the old one and inserted the new one and now I got error P0335 - Crankshaft position. Could it be that the new one is faulty?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yhea, I ordered another one. Seems like I have to check my timing too, fingers crossed :/
Hopefully, you won't have to do anything with the timing. That's an extreme pain. I'm just wrapping up setting my timing. I'd rather replace that sensor than have to fight with...I think it was (12) 10mm bolts on that darn timing chain casing. :rest

Anyway I'll be in for updates

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully, you won't have to do anything with the timing. That's an extreme pain. I'm just wrapping up setting my timing. I'd rather replace that sensor than have to fight with...I think it was (12) 10mm bolts on that darn timing chain casing. :rest

Anyway I'll be in for updates
So heres a update. I changed the sensor and took loose the battery to reset the ECU. Now its not giving me any codes but the engine still wont firing up, just cranks. Now I have no clues left. Maybe the harness or something...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Did you ever get to check the timing? Also I'm not 100% sure, but I think because you reset the ecu it won't give you a code unless the engine fires up...again not 100% sure on that? Does it seem like your power dims when trying to start up...like the lighting on the gauge cluster?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi!

Im a owner of a EP3 2004.
My car suddenly wont start. It worked fine, parked it for 15 minutes to get my daughter and when I tried to start it again, the engine wont fire up.

This were a few month ago, and now I started to work on it. I checked my spark plugs and they looked fine but they were dry, even after I tried to initiate. I have checked the immobilizer (on dashboard), and its not it. I can also hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to ON.

Any ideas?

Sorry for my bad english tho, Im from Sweden. :)

Sincerely
Aljon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts