Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Youtube.com/FieryFire3D
Joined
·
260 Posts
yes for safety purposes, but if you dont drive above like 40mph (local commute) then you wont need it. But if your blazing down the freeway at like 75 - 80, then u should maybe get it. I have VIS and I've had no problems so far, latch is fine, no quivering, but then again I dont really drive that fast anymore (only when i go home from college).
 

·
Perpetrator
Joined
·
53,298 Posts
TidaLXWaVe said:
But if your blazing down the freeway at like 75 - 80, then u should maybe get it.
wrong. the faster you go, the more downforce is played onto the hood. look at the side profile of our car with the angle of the hood. you'll see what i mean. i've gone as high as 143mph several times with my VIS hood (with no pins).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,922 Posts
HondaIntegraTypeS said:
wrong. the faster you go, the more downforce is played onto the hood. look at the side profile of our car with the angle of the hood. you'll see what i mean. i've gone as high as 143mph several times with my VIS hood (with no pins).


slow down :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
HondaIntegraTypeS said:
wrong. the faster you go, the more downforce is played onto the hood. look at the side profile of our car with the angle of the hood. you'll see what i mean. i've gone as high as 143mph several times with my VIS hood (with no pins).

wrong...the faster you go the more air that is going under yoru hood because of the opening under the hood....therefore the more necessary it is to have hood pins.

hoodpins are practically required for any carbon fiber hood unless the hood is up to aeronotical aviation standards like those by hammerhead aviation. besides those, i would advise getting hoodpins with ANY CF hood
 

·
Perpetrator
Joined
·
53,298 Posts
merlyn said:
wrong...the faster you go the more air that is going under yoru hood because of the opening under the hood....therefore the more necessary it is to have hood pins.
well that's what those weather guard flaps are for. besides, are we questioning the carbon fiber hood's lack of resistance to downforce due to it's lightweight? i don't think so. we are now questioning the strenght of the square loop which latches down onto the hook. the carbon fiber hood's square loop is strong enough to hold down the hood, just as the stock hood. if the latch doesnt hold even the stock hood down, the stock hood would fly upward as well during high speed. thinking about that one..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
not only are we questioning the strength of the square look which latches down onto the hook but we are also questioning the strength of the epoxy which is holding down the CF or fiberglass topped with CF onto the skeleton of the hood. Yes, the latch in 99.99% of cases will hold while the hood is being bubbled upward and at times splitting in the holes of the skeleton.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,829 Posts
nope! i dont have any on my VIS oem hood. gone slow and fast with NO flapping of the hood at all. the reason is cus i spent alot of time during the install to secure the hood to the latch. it honestly fits like a stock hood.
 

·
Rage With the Machines
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
dumb question..........but wouldn't VIS be liable to pay for the damages if the hood were to pop at that speed?
I mean otherwise they would say...must use hood pins..right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
but wut if you get into an accident (well i hope ppl won't but still)...would the cf hood stays on or fall like a normal hood b/c i have heard story where the cf hood flies into the car winshield killing ppl???

do you know wut i mean?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,829 Posts
it is true that the hood doesnt crumble like a stock hood should. it lacks the ability to absorb the hit basically. but then again there are alot of mods that we do that make our cars "unsafe". i think if youre scared of something like that then go for the hood pins or dont even get a cf hood at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
TypeRaisin said:
it is true that the hood doesnt crumble like a stock hood should. it lacks the ability to absorb the hit basically. but then again there are alot of mods that we do that make our cars "unsafe". i think if youre scared of something like that then go for the hood pins or dont even get a cf hood at all.
:thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top