Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
U Smell Clutch?
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was wondering if it was possible to paint a carbon fiber hood. I was interested in getting one and am not sure if i would like how it would look on my car because of the whole black hood white car thing. If you guys could get back to me on this it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Part of the cool look in my opinion is the black hood on the white car. I would personally only get a white car if I planned on a cf hood :)

But to answer your question, yes you can. I think I saw an issue of import tuner do it. They took a cf hood for a blue car, and added a gloss/blue mix so the black hood still showed through the paint, was real tight.

I'm sure if you search these forums you could find something, I'll look through my old magazines and see if I can find what issue :)

·
U Smell Clutch?
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx a lot on the feedback i appreciate it. Well maybe if i saw the hood on a white rsx in multiple angels i might be able to come to a conclusion about painting it or not i just wanted an option if i didn't like the look.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
can't for the life of me find the DIY article, but I know you can.

Anyway, here is the TODA Racing project car with a cf hood :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
you can paint it but the problem is chipping. Even with a high quality paint job it will chip. Its cause the carbon fiber hood is so stiff it doesnt give to much to freeway kick up (rocks and shit like that). If i had a CF hood...id just keep it unpainted, thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Personally, if I was going to go through the expense of putting on a carbon fiber hood, I'd do a lot more than just the hood.

I'd see if I could get all the body panels (except for the doors, which really need to be kept as is for safety reasons) in fiberglass or carbon fiber, and then repaint the whole car. One major difference in paint though would be that I'd have them put on 15 coats of clear on it.

That'll give the car a permanent wet look, and should cut down on the chances of the hood chipping. :) Of course the car will be a vandalism magnet with a paintjob like that. :firemad:

G

·
anyone know how much it would cost to have a clearcoat applied to a carbon fiber hood to match the exterior paint?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts