Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not too knowledgeable about this topic, please bear with me.

1) I've heard of people getting fiberglass body kits cuz they are lighter or something but is there such thing as a fiberglass hood. Would that be lighter than a carbon fiber hood?

2)And about Carbon fiber hoods, which brand would you guys recommend?

3) I was told that carbon fiber hoods are dangerous cuz they can fly straight into the windshield if an accident incited it to. Is that true? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
search for more info....but in general:

CF hoods are lighter than fiberglass hoods
I recomend Carbon Creations, Kreative import technology, and Fiber Images for hoods
Carbon fiber hoods are not as safe as stock hoods...they do not have crumple zones.

·
28,748 Posts
1) There are a few fiberglass hoods, but Carbon Fibre is lighter. However it is pricier, and for our car, the weight savings isn't that much.

2) FibreImages, ViS, C-West, Mugen, etc. There are many CF hoods out there.

3) Yes they can be more dangerous because of the lack of crumple zones.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Real carbon fiber can cost a lot...

They'll dent easily with contact too.

I think the new NSX (along with older ones?) comes with a carbon fiber hood. It was really light. I almost fell forward onto the car when I first lifted it up.

·
Fun with steak...
2,909 Posts
So if the hoods don't crumple.. they go through the windshield basically? :)

·
R.I.P Turbo'ed base auto
9,377 Posts
i have a REAL cf hood, it is nice but damn its a waste of money. What he said is correct, they dent VERY VERY easily, especially since i use it for road driving it dents very easily, u can see every imperfection if u look at differnt angles.

If you want to make it seure just use hood-pins, it'll be fine.

My hood weighs like nothing, when ppl lift it up thats the first thing they notice, they go as if they are going to have to actually use some force but once they lift it its like wow.

One time on the highway i had an accident and one of my alarm wires were messed up, so i had to opo my hood. I forgot about it being carbon fiber and just put it up with the stock holder, about a minute later when a car passed by it flew up, i thank the lord it did not rip off right there and then because when i saw it go up i thought it was a goner.

·
Wreakin Havoc
1,654 Posts
Crumple zone. Are you serious? Do you really think that a stock hood absorbs the shock of an impact? No it doesnt. As soon as it buckles it offers no resistance. I just want someone to show me an example of a CF hood going through a windshield or something similar. If you can then I am a dumbass. If you cant produce an example then stop spreading this internet garbage originated by some idiot.

·
Honda4Ever
7,580 Posts
I have Fiber Images and its a damn nice hood, very very light. Only problem is they don't pre-drill for washer nozzles as they say it weakens the hood. Ok fine, now someone PLEASE show me where to get washer nozzles that mount under the hood, on the wiper arm, something that lets me use my washer fluid without drilling the hood. Please!!!

·
Honda4Ever
7,580 Posts
Anything you can get would be GREATLY appreciated!!! I have been looking for clip on style washer nozzles forever with no luck. Want my CF hood back on already.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts