Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

First post. Did some searching and wasnt able to find a response to my question; though I may have missed it.

Went into my local Hondata Dealer to inquire about Kpro.. pricing, procedure, installation, etc. After checking out my car (02 type s) the guy suggested before I get the Kpro I would be better off buying a RBC Civic Si 06-08 Manifold that they will then port, a header (skunk2 or comparable) and a different intake than the one I have now. Now, my concern is that because these guys making money off of labor and probably not so much me buying a Kpro, there intentions, although accurate suggestions, were driven of getting me in the shop.

So, my question is. How necessary is it for me to upgrade and port my intake manifold (also, cant they port my stock RSX, how much better is the RBC Civic Si) and upgrade headers before I purchase and tune with a Kpro. Or can it be done either which way. I intend to do both. With saving up money I had my heart set on Kpro but am open to these suggestions also.

·
sapnu puas
5,950 Posts
To answer your question, it is not necessary to upgrade anything in order to get K-Pro. The RBC intake manifold is quite a bit better than OEM (If I remember correctly, roughly 20+ hp after tune).

I believe what the dealer is trying to say is basically in the title. He's suggesting you getting these essential parts first to really let K-Pro shine. It is pretty much personal preference on what you do first. If it were me, I'd do what the dealer is suggesting and get intake / header / exhaust and THEN get K-Pro. But if you have the money to blow right now and you had your heart set on getting K-Pro, get it. But don't get your hopes up on seeing a substantial horsepower change in the car.

Without a doubt the dealer is trying to make additional money for you (after all, that's what they're in the business for), but he's not wrong. I'd recommend looking to buy these parts on your own and trying to install them. All of them are pretty simple bolt-ons.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Recommended path to safety make more horsepower is to get a …..

1) Intake - CAI
2) Race header (don’t forget to get at least the front and rear motor mounts)
3) CAT-Back exhaust system
4) KPro
5) A Good Tune

So if you change out the intake and the exhaust system you’re going to have feed your engine more fuel to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio and KPro is the right tool to measure and make those adjustments. Next get a good tune. It’s amazing how many people spend thousands of dollars on parts, but skimps out on a real tune which is necessary to make them work as a balance system. The stock intake manifold and throttle body can flow a lot of air, but now you’re getting to the point where you need to invest in cams as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info!!! Right now I've got exhaust and intake (but not CAI) it's a short ram. The mechanic suggested RBC from 06-08 civic si which they can port on site. For whatever reason my intake manifold isn't good enough vs. The civic's. Still not sure what RBC stands for. #noob. Thanks a lot for the help. My next venture after this will be softening my suspension. I'm lowered on coil overs but they're extremely tight. For that I'll browse other sections :vtec:

·
sapnu puas
5,950 Posts
Great info!!! Right now I've got exhaust and intake (but not CAI) it's a short ram. The mechanic suggested RBC from 06-08 civic si which they can port on site. For whatever reason my intake manifold isn't good enough vs. The civic's. Still not sure what RBC stands for. #noob. Thanks a lot for the help. My next venture after this will be softening my suspension. I'm lowered on coil overs but they're extremely tight. For that I'll browse other sections :vtec:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not an abreviation for anything, I think it's more like a chassis stamp or just a "model name".

The RBC manifold gets better air flow, allowing the car to make more HP. As I said, you don't have to get the RBC but if you're looking to make more horsepower - the RBC would be a great easy way to get it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how well will my stock rsx one work if I were to port it out? (In addition with a skunk2 alpha header and nice CAI

·
Registered
190 Posts
The shorty intake is better than stock but with the high temps in Florida I would get a CAI. If you don’t have deep pockets delay purchasing the aftermarket intake manifold. The stock one will get you close to your goal. Your biggest bottleneck is your stock “shorty header” exhaust manifold. Spend your money on a race header and omit the catalytic converter. The catalytic converter is making your engine constipated. At the same time you need to get KPro/tune. These modifications alone will make your car perform very well. If you still need more horsepower, skip the stupid aftermarket intake manifold/cam upgrade and go with force induction with an easy bolt-on CTe supercharger kit. You will make an easy 230+ whp.

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
The RBC manifold is a nice upgrade from the OEM PRB.

Then porting it makes it even nicer. I do a lot of RBC manifold ports.

You can go ahead and get kpro and tune without it. But it is a common upgrade and so they are probably just suggesting it to get it out of the way now. How much did they want to charge you for a ported RBC? Strange to hear them just blurt out upgrade that now.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The RBC manifold is a nice upgrade from the OEM PRB.

Then porting it makes it even nicer. I do a lot of RBC manifold ports.

You can go ahead and get kpro and tune without it. But it is a common upgrade and so they are probably just suggesting it to get it out of the way now. How much did they want to charge you for a ported RBC? Strange to hear them just blurt out upgrade that now.

They quoted me about an hours worth of labor. So like $100

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The shorty intake is better than stock but with the high temps in Florida I would get a CAI. If you don’t have deep pockets delay purchasing the aftermarket intake manifold. The stock one will get you close to your goal. Your biggest bottleneck is your stock “shorty header” exhaust manifold. Spend your money on a race header and omit the catalytic converter. The catalytic converter is making your engine constipated. At the same time you need to get KPro/tune. These modifications along will make your car perform very well. If you still need more horsepower, skip the stupid aftermarket intake manifold/cam upgrade and go with force induction with an easy bolt-on CTe supercharger kit. You will make an easy 230+ whp.
So you said omit catalytic converter as in remove it completely?

My baby drives like my engine is constipated. I've got 86k on the motor (200k on body) but man the power I have is almost non existent. Well, when I'm in higher gears and clear 5krpm i get some pickup just before vtec hits. but other than that :shakehead

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, replace the stock exhaust manifold and catalytic converter with a race header. It’s hotter than hell in Florida. The heat will suck the “zip” right out of your engine. You need to do everything you can do to reduce intake air temperature by using a CAI and an intake manifold heat shield gasket to start with. A Hondata re-flash, or KPro will help regain some excitement back into your engine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

Injen CAI and IMG installed last weekend. WOW! not much difference but, if you've ever lived in Florida, you cherish the cold mornings when you can open your car up and it runs smooth. That's how it feels everyday. Next step, Header and Reflash. I've been searching threads for headers because I don't know if I can afford skunk2 and install and reflash. Turns out I may need to get a new clutch soon too.

I've looked at OBX headers and get mixed reviews. There have been some decent write ups on here that for $200 its a steal. Good gains, etc. But other sources outside of here say otherwise. Ugh! My budget is $250-$300 I just cant decide. Anywho, that's where I'm at. :)

I decided to wait on RBC port with the risk of running to lean. Once I get reflash and Headers, ill stop for a little while and regroup. Probably replace clutch and do some cosmetic shit. Next perform upgrade will then be RBC port and Kpro.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
190 Posts
So keeping in mind that you have a tight budget here is my recommendations.

1) Get your ECU re-flashed. It will help you to better utilize your 1st phase of mods, will lower your VTEC set point, and raise your rev limit.
2) Replace you catalytic converter with at least a cheap test pipe. This will help reduce some of the exhaust back pressure.

The only reason why I suggested a cheap test pipe instead of a race header is because the header is one of the most important horsepower generators for the K20 engine. I hate to see anyone piss away hard earned money on a cheap ass low performing header. If you can find a real cheap used header to start with and latter replace it with a better one that’s ok as well. Remember, some headers have fitting issues with the front sway bar. Do some research on the pros and cons on the different headers.

Don't forget the heat shield gasket for the intake manifold.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmmm so you think reflash before the RH, huh? (Unless of course I find a banging deal on a used alpha header)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes the re-flash first. The engine comes from the factory tuned on the conservative side – maybe to make the Civic Si owners feel more equal to the RSX. Remember the ECU is stupid and does not know your are making these performance mods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts