Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was at red light and noticed a rattle comin from under my car. I get out and checked it out. This is what I find:

It turns out that the heat shield for my catalytic converter has rusted through and around the 2 bolts toward the back of the car (The front 2 are in descent shape) so the back of it hangs a 1/4 inch. It rattles basically under 2500 rpm, but is very annoying and makes my look like an idiot everytime I pull into Wawa. :laughat:
I was thinking about jackin her up and putting sheet metal screw in there to hold it and prevent any further problems... any suggestions?

·
02 Acura RSX BASE
59 Posts
WOW!!! Thats a good one, you must live on the eastcoast.OK remove the heatshield all together.It will not hurt anything.And even if you did use a sheet metal screw,weld, or anything else it will come loose in a few days/weeks.Just torch it off if you cannot unbolt it.GL!

·
7,611 Posts
welcome to the club.

GL removing it - I dropped my catback to gain acccess to all four corners, and destroyed my catback in the process. Rust, FTL.

Good excuse to buy a new SS catback of course.

You can try, I've heard it works for some people, putting a large hose clamp around it if you don't want to mess with removing it.

I haven't started any fires yet without mine.

·
EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH
8,170 Posts
take that off ASAP before it breaks off and take out your O2 sensors with it.... you don't want have to pay $300+ for both o2 sensors.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,087 Posts
I 2nd the motion for a RH

·
sigh
12,700 Posts
why isn't it likely? if the sheild comes off (like rusts all the way through), it will drag on the ground. as soon as it catches something, it could sever the wires to the sensors.

take that shit off. its just a shield and has no bearing on structural integrity.

or...

get a RH.

·
7,611 Posts
why isn't it likely? if the sheild comes off (like rusts all the way through), it will drag on the ground. as soon as it catches something, it could sever the wires to the sensors.

take that shit off. its just a shield and has no bearing on structural integrity.

or...

get a RH.
because, as he said, two of the four are still intact, and it's just rattling right now.

Maybe in a few more years it would rust all the way through to the point of severing the wires.....

I just went through the same thing, and there was no way that thing would come that far loose that soon - it was a bitch to cut off, and wriggle around.

·
Stock
2,666 Posts
Same thing happened to my cat heatshield, quick fixed it with some wire and freakin zip ties :giggity: then took it to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty

·
sigh
12,700 Posts
that's not to say something couldn't happen. a rock could bust loose another bolt or he could scrape and bust out a different one...

if you can't get it replaced under warranty, I say just take it off. the rattling is annoying as piss so just get rid of it.

·
Hi there
696 Posts
Go to autozone get a long heat shield clamp, clamp it down, end of story. Net loss 4$ and 3 minutes of your time.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Go to autozone get a long heat shield clamp, clamp it down, end of story. Net loss 4$ and 3 minutes of your time.
Went to the local hardware store, picked up some hose clamps, 15mins and $5 later...

I know this is only a temp fix, but it'll get me by the next couple of months until I save for my exhaust. I dont get it, it's an 03' with 48k on her and the only rust is on the cat and flang behind the cat. That's gonna be fun when I go to take it off. Now to FINALLY choose an exhaust Hmmm....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts