Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I lnow this has been covered elsewhere, but I just got an 05 RSX. I got a replacement cat back for it and it seems I cannot get the nuts to come off. As far as the studs what would be the best way to go about those? I figured maybe heating the flange and using a heavy hammer may work.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Penetrating oil and some heat will handle it, but you need to scrub that rust off in order to fit a socket on there. And you’ll also want to use an impact gun.
The other option is to grind it off and drill the studs out of the cat. You’ll just need to get bolts, and some locknuts.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You’re actually going to have to scrub and scrape that flange too because it looks like it’s sealed pretty good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You’re actually going to have to scrub and scrape that flange too because it looks like it’s sealed pretty good.
[/QUOTE
I imagine I probably won't be able to reuse the stud. And if I get the nut off I can probably knock them out correct?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I literally just did this today. I had to hammer the 12mm extractor socket to the nut, then I used an impact wrench and it came off pretty quickly. I also sprayed some wd40 on it which likely didn't do much. Mine looked just as bad by the way.

·
Registered
not very much faster than an FRS
121 Posts
Mine was worse, it was all seized and starting to rot away. Had to cut it off, made a new flange for the midpipe and blasted new holes through the cat flange with a torch. Hope you can get those bolts out without cutting them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help y'all, got it done a couple days ago. Had to cut off the bolts like said. Used an air hammer to knock out the studs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts