Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having the first few mods done on my 03 type S this week by yosolo in northern Jersey.

I'm having new intake, headers, and exhaust put on (in addition to getting a kpro and tune).

One thing that I'm a bit concerned about is that I will no longer have a cat. He's telling me that I shouldn't have a problem with inspection being I'll have an O2 sensor.

I always thought a cat was a requirement in most states?

Anyone know if I'll have an issue with inspection in NJ? it's also possible I may move to NY at some point -- same question for NY inspection.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,360 Posts
what header are you putting on?

if they don't do a visual inspection, you may be ok. if they do, you might get caught since they'll see the lack of a cat

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
replica headers.

If they do a visual inspection, and I fail, would it likely be a big project to get a cat fitted on?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he's gonna put a shield on there near where the cat would go.. so hopefully it'll look like there is one ..

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
he's gonna put a shield on there near where the cat would go.. so hopefully it'll look like there is one ..
well if your ref knows anything itll be obvious its a race header

if NY is like CA then good luck passing with anything other than the stock header+cat

·
Kevin★05 DC5-S
6,108 Posts
please please a header not headers headers super headers duper headers.

since you are worrying about O2 sensor and inspection, i assume it's a race header. like others said, if they dont do visual inspection, then you are ok as soon as car does not throw codes and CEL is not turn.

2,542 Posts
depend on what test they run in your state. Some do the 45me or something like that, were they hook a smogger up to your exhaust and read your afr. afr should be at 14.7:1 if you read anything below or higher they might fail you. There afew other test they can run but it depend on state. Just get kpro :D and tune depending on your state, some do 3000rpm or 4500 rpm for a set time. Set everything to that rpm for 14.7:1 and your set plus you can turn off the cel if you need to :shady:

·
Chillen with some VTAK
3,676 Posts
You should be fine, in NY i dont think they do visual inspections, but wen i get my car inspected my friend just hooks up to the scanner and as long as i have no check engine lights its not a problem. But he doesnt do any of the other required work.

·
cone head
1,452 Posts
A cat. is required in all 50 states (EPA Clean Air Act). I won't pass smog if they do it right, but you might get lucky and get someone who's lazy and doesn't look that closely. You'll still have to pass the sniffer test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts