Meta Member
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Meta Member
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, here's a better question.

What's the best way for me to figure out what's going on? If I take it to the stealership are they likely to try to charge me a shitload before they even replace anything?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The answer is I want to get a new exhaust. :laughing:

If my cat is dead I have an excuse to get a JRRH, high flow cat, and something else catback. :pray:
My ride was throwin' that same code for almost a year on and off. I was past my warranty so the dealer wouldn't replace the CAT---blah...blah...something like $1000 plus labor to fix it:mad:

I said hell no. I kept on driving---my gas mileage started to suffer some...I ran RXP through my ride every other fill up--it helps to get out a lot of the black carbon deposits inside the CAT which in turn, cleared the CEL light long enough for me to pass inspection:D

Once I passed inspection---I took the plunge, and bought a 06' Type-S cat-back exhaust w/ a RH and fixed that problem for good. I used a defouler from "Kabe" and have had no troubles since...

As for the cause--I'm still confused---no since in replacing the O2 sensors unless you know for sure that they're your problem. Someone had mentioned before that if the primary O2 was going bad---but still semi-functional, it could be messing with your A/F ratio--causing your car to run even richer by dumping excess fuel and therefore killing your CAT prematurely. For me, I'm not 100% sold on that theory....but since I've installed the RH and now reflash---I know my car is leaned out--not too much, but enough that my mileage has once again improved. I have yet to get a CEL that's telling me one of my O2 sensors is bad---so if it ain't broke--don't fix it.

Go figure:dontknow:

-J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts