Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In case you’re stupid like me. I bought the moog ball joints, i put the fill adapter to geese it up as a i please. The axle kept going into the Hub just before the grooves for the bolt were accessible. For 2-3 hours I tried everything. Sanding off all the rust ( wasn’t much ) wd40, even grease. Even started smacking the knuckle to get the spindle all the way in. No matter what I tried the spindle would not come all the way through not even enough for one tread to screw the axle nut.

Turns out the fill adapter on the ball joints was hitting on some metal ring on the axle and wouldn’t let it get pushed out more.

If what I wrote doesn’t make sense since I’m still learning about car parts in general I hope the picture makes sense. The arrow to the ball joint was hitting the arrow to the cv axle where the grooved ring is.

·
Registered
265 Posts
so what is your approach now?

can you install the axle with the grease fitting installed on the ball joint?, which Honda never designed the ball joint to have that fitting coming anywhere near that axle's path - the axle needs to have as much room as possible for it to do it's thing without interference from anything.

you may not want to here this, replace that Moog ball joint and at least get the oem replacements or Hardrace's oem replacement ball joints or something that does not require a grease fitting on top.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so what is your approach now?

can you install the axle with the grease fitting installed on the ball joint?, which Honda never designed the ball joint to have that fitting coming anywhere near that axle's path - the axle needs to have as much room as possible for it to do it's thing without interference from anything.

you may not want to here this, replace that Moog ball joint and at least get the oem replacements or Hardrace's oem replacement ball joints or something that does not require a grease fitting on top.
No you cannot. I had to put back the regular screw back in place of the grease filler screw. I went with moog for a reason, a lot of people recommend it. This one is my daily driver with like 2 mile commute per day during the week. On my project rsx I will be running all moog aswell to see how they hold up on track/ autoX this season. Will be replacing as needed with hardrace products. Thanks for the recommendation though.

·
Registered
265 Posts
No you cannot. I had to put back the regular screw back in place of the grease filler screw. I went with moog for a reason, a lot of people recommend it. This one is my daily driver with like 2 mile commute per day during the week. On my project rsx I will be running all moog aswell to see how they hold up on track/ autoX this season. Will be replacing as needed with hardrace products. Thanks for the recommendation though.
Hardrace race version installed last week. They are rigid and stout, and the bottom bolt compared to K-Tuned's roll center ball joints are night and day difference.

I hope those Moog ball joints serve you well for street daily driving duties.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow, sorry you had to try that out with that part. Bad design by moog :\

Good thing you didn't get that on by a thread to get your nut started otherwise you could've damaged your axle or strip something trying to tighten it with that filler valve in place on the ball joint O.O

1 - 6 of 6 Posts