Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, bought 2 sets of Sylvania Silverstars for my car and proceeded to assess the situation of replacing them. Uh..a bit interesting in there. Looked in the owners manual and saw the diagram to replace the passenger side.. but nothing written on the driver side bulb... strange. Then I cracked open the service manual and they only show how to replace the drivers side... sounds like a freaking consipiracy:D

Anyone replace both their low beam and high beam bulbs? Any tips I can get before I go forward is appreciated and how much time did it take you. There looks to be no room at all to get your hands in there... even if pull away all the crap.

I just changed my wifes Frontier to the Silverstars and they are a lot brighter...her change over with 9007 bulbs took me all of 15 minutes for both.

The RSX looks like a total pain in the ass.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
yeah, i think u hafta just about take out the entire assembly.

i think u could do it with just taking out the top screws, but it'd be really hard. it'd be easier to just take off the bumper, and take out the assembly's.

once u've got teh headlights out, pull on the black boot, and pull it off. then u just move the wire so u can pull out the bulb, and u're good to go i think. i really don't remember, but it probably says in the manual or whatever.

·
ProperSpecs.com
775 Posts
Yeep its a pain to change get band-aids :) but yah to replace them you have to pull out the plug, then pull off the weather seal(that rubber thing) then they are silver clips i believe you push forward than downward and they sway open. then fianally carfully slide the part connect to the bulb out and replace the bulb.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like I am better off just keeping the stock bulbs in place. I was not looking to get the appearance of HID.. could not give a rats ass about that... just looking for a brighter bulb to light up the road. Have a lot of deer where I live and need as much warning as possible.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
dude, honestly, it seems like a lot of work, but i think silverstars would really help. i was actually thinking of doing this too. if i do end up doing it, i'll let you know if it was a big improvement.

how much do silverstars cost, aren't tehy like 40 bucks a pair?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
cost me $38.00 for 2 at Advance Auto.

I keep reading about how these things keep burning out... is this true... if so, whats the point of replacing. Especially on such a pain to replace

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
Okay....I'll be the first to drop the bomb on ya'. Silverstars will burn out just like any other aftermarket hyperwhite bulb. I went through 3 different brands of aftermarket bulbs before I got 6000K HID's from XenonDepot, and all 3 brands burnt out after only 4-6 weeks of regular use.

Changing the low and high beams are a pain in the ass, and all you will end up doing is putting the Silverstars in.....and then eventually having to take them out to put the stocks back in. Should you decide to get the bulbs, you don't need to remove the bumper and the entire headlight assembly to change them like the other guy said. All you need to do is allow yourself a little bit of time to familiarize yourself with how the clamp on the back of the headlight assembly works (what you saw in the owners manual). Granted, it is a tight fit for your hands, but taking off the front bumper and removing the housing is unnecessary IMO.

If you aren't all that concerned with how your headlights look at night (the stock "yellowish tint" versus something whiter and brighter), then I would avoid hyperwhite bulbs altogether and just stick with what you've got.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks soccerman... I agree that this whole thing may be a waste of time. I think I'll be returning the bulbs tomorrow. At least if my wifes truck burns a bulb... its a quick change over. Will see how that goes.

·
No More Broken OEM Fogs
2,126 Posts
Sucks to change but its do-able without taking the bumper off. If there are pics posted somewhere of the back side of the headlight assembly it would help. I was in your exact shoes last sunday bro--I feel for you, but if I can muddle my way through it anyone can. I have rage issues and I was seriosly pissed off when I first tried to fit my fat ass hand behind the passenger HL assy. If you slide the windshield washer container off of its bracket (pull it towards front of car) you almost have room to do the drivers side. I also put silverstars in mine and the only complaint that I have right now is that I want matching fog light bulbs. Is there a silverstar bullb for these?

Hang in there - some have had great luck with the silverstars.

D

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
wow, u revived this thread just to say that, huh?

anywys, i've had mine for a while now (not sure how long, i don't really keep trak of that kinda shit) and they're still burning bright, i like them, holds me over until i do my retrofit in teh winter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
PhrostyNLS said:
silverstars are peices of shit
I concur. Had 3 of them burn out on me in the past 2 months. Friend insisted they were probably a bad batch after 2 died. In each case, the filament melted. third died just today. lame lame lame.

I did like the brightness, tho.

Of course, my PDA/ODBII connection is telling me theres a power overdraw on the input or something (code P1298). But for some reason service hasn't either noticed, done anything, or fixed it.

Back to OEMs. doesn't look like any warranty either. if i could get my fscking $80 back (the 2 bulbs, and their 2 replacements), that'd be nice.

Last time I trust this friend for car info.

·
CRSX Father of Two
4,874 Posts
I've had my SIlverstars for over a year with no problems. I feel that the best way to change bulbs is to pull the front bumper off. I can remove my bumper in 10-15 minutes. Then removing the headlights only takes a minute to remopve the 3 bolts. Doing it this way may result in 1 skinned up knuckle if you're careless. Changing the bulbs without removing the assembly will cause you to cuss and drink till you forget why your hands are bleeding.

·
Registered
43 Posts
having changed the headlights as many times as i have now, I can do it in less than 5 minutes total coming in from above, under the hood. First time, my thumbs hurt like hell, but not by the 3rd time. but i still get a few scrapes from sharp metal edges.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Silverstars suck! Mine burned out after maybe 3 days of use! I wrote a letter to complain about it and they sent me an email back telling me if i send in the bulbs (which i already threw away), the receipt (which i threw away also), and the make, and model of my car, they would send me a replacement! why would i want a replacement of something that sucks and will burn out again in a couple days?? Oh and it was a pain in the ass to change the bulbs out too. Not worth it to me, just get HID's!

·
Registered
466 Posts
didn't mean to bring the thread back from dead but just want people to know that silverstar does sux. I replace both low beams at the same time and they both died at the same time, 84 days to be exact. Good thing i read about the burn out problem ahead of time so I saved my recipt. I am going to write and see if I can get my money back, i don't want a replacement if it's going to die on me again. I did like how they look tho, but it's not worth it if I have to replace every three months. I purchased some philips blue vision online today, hopefully they will last me a little longer. It the mean time I guess I should start saving for HID.

·
SEND EMAIL, NO PM!
9,078 Posts
soccerman002 said:
Okay....I'll be the first to drop the bomb on ya'. Silverstars will burn out just like any other aftermarket hyperwhite bulb. I went through 3 different brands of aftermarket bulbs before I got 6000K HID's from XenonDepot, and all 3 brands burnt out after only 4-6 weeks of regular use.

Changing the low and high beams are a pain in the ass, and all you will end up doing is putting the Silverstars in.....and then eventually having to take them out to put the stocks back in. Should you decide to get the bulbs, you don't need to remove the bumper and the entire headlight assembly to change them like the other guy said. All you need to do is allow yourself a little bit of time to familiarize yourself with how the clamp on the back of the headlight assembly works (what you saw in the owners manual). Granted, it is a tight fit for your hands, but taking off the front bumper and removing the housing is unnecessary IMO.

If you aren't all that concerned with how your headlights look at night (the stock "yellowish tint" versus something whiter and brighter), then I would avoid hyperwhite bulbs altogether and just stick with what you've got.
i dunno man...both my friends have these bulbs in their cars for a long time...a 5 series for almost a year and an a4 for 6 months now, no problems

but maybe they will burn out, i dunno

1 - 20 of 61 Posts