Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It s time for new discs because the break pedal and steering wheel vibrate when I apply the breaks. I brought them to tham machined and the mechanic told me they were do depleted and it was nt possible. I dont need performance discs cause I only daily drive and of course the occasional vtec and break. All the parts stores have two kinds of discs the good ones and the cheap ones (economical). But the price difference is big like 50% more expensive than the cheap ones. Should I try the cheap discs or the more expensive. The clerk tells me that economical ones will do the job just as well as the expensive ones and not to waste extra precious money for nothing. What do you guys think I should go with? And then there is also the stock discs from acura which are way overpriced but probably the best quality.

·
Murderator
23,101 Posts
You get what you pay for...

Most people here would probably upgrade their brakes, not downgrade, so if you're looking for "just get the cheap shit" answers you're probably in the wrong place...

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
agreed. u get what u pay for.

but it doesn't mean the cheaper ones are bad. the more expensive ones are "probably" better is in they can sustain higher braking temperatures and grabbier. that's what track pads are like....but should you pay for 5x the price for better track pads when you don't race? probably not.

for daily driver that's not aggressively driven, i'd just say get duralast.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah im aware of that but i just want to know if any one has experienced these cheap discs and what they were like. Did they break well did they sqeek or they just didnt last long enough
remember the reason why i wont upgrade is because of the nature of the driving i do ( not aggressive enough to spend money on the good stuff)

·
Tarzan
1,083 Posts
Omg our brakes are bad enough, it would be unsafe to downgrade

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Just go to the dealership and get oem or get brembo oem replacement cause your going to end up buying some cheap shit rotors that are going to warp or crack then your going to spend the extra money that would of cost you to buy the good stuff to begin with. Im not saying to buy racing parts just get quality parts. If you wanted to but cheap parts from autozone then just buy yourself a ford or something.

·
Murderator
23,101 Posts
Another way to look at it is spend the money on the good parts now. It's not like you will be replacing them again anytime soon. Your discs should last a long time. Hell, you'll probably end up spending more money in the long run on the cheap shitty brakes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is it true that if the car is not driven often the rotors will start to rust. Ithink thats what happened to my rotors. The grooves in the rotors became to big so they were impossible to machine. I drive the company car most of the time and less my rsx

·
Registered
15,360 Posts
is it true that if the car is not driven often the rotors will start to rust. Ithink thats what happened to my rotors. The grooves in the rotors became to big so they were impossible to machine. I drive the company car most of the time and less my rsx
some, yes. but as soon as you start driving some, the rust will come off due to the friction between the pads and rotor

·
Slow in Fast out
2,884 Posts
Omg our brakes are bad enough, it would be unsafe to downgrade
Um no.. they're actually excellent oem brakes. A BBK will not shorten your stopping distances, they're simply a last resort for heat dissipation (and a somewhat firmer pedal). Get some good pads and fluid.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
When it comes to rotors, for the thread starters described driving, I would buy the least expensive rotors you can find. There is very little if any differnence in the quality between most rotors. You pay extra for finish or bling like slots and drilled rotors which don't actually improve your braking, or plating or electro coating which is aesthetic, . Everybody uses the same cast iron alloy. The rest is just marketing hype. Rotors are a wear item. The grooves you describe are normal wear and tear. The pulsating you felt is because you had uneven pad deposits on the rotor probably from a spirited driving session near the end of the pads thickness. Buy whatever is worn out, flush your fluid, and if you think you will be doing a lot of spirted driving spend your money on upgraded pads, otherwise stick with the inexpensive rotors and OEM pads. Sorry if my opinion doesn't jive with many above, but I stand ready to defend it.

·
#BAMF
21,617 Posts
Brakes are something you don't skimp on.

I don't know why threads like this pop up.

If you can't afford to maintain a car you shouldn't be driving.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

Actually I think toofastforyou's question is a reasonable one, although he might have been able to answer it if he searched a bit longer. The issue here is the definition of "skimping". There are millions of people out there who take their cars to certified mechanics, many of whom are honest and experienced, who will end up with what some of you are calling skimped upon brakes, but in reality have a quality and safe product that gets the job done at a reasonable cost. On the other hand there are thousands of people who are under the mistaken impression that they have substantially improved their braking and safety by spending exhorbitant sums of money on products that in many cases perform less well than the OEM products they replaced. Time and again, over and over, people on these forums demonstrate a limited knowledge of the engineering, mechanics, chemistry, and economics of the equipment they are offering advice on. Answers like "don't skimp on something important as brakes" have an obvious ring of truth to them but do nothing to really answer the question posed by toofastforyou. His question is really if I do this will I be skimping and most of the answers above have been inflammatory at least and factually incorrect at best.

Answers like this:

only deserve the reply if you don't know the answer to the question don't post inflammatory replies.

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
I'm with justjim on this, buy what ever rotor's cheaper as there really is very little difference between the expensive and cheep setups.

For brake pads, OEM equivalents at autozone or what ever should do fine for daily driving. Higher temp pads (more expensive) are only really needed if you start to push the car.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
justjim and Zzyzx I agree with the both of you and I never did have in mind to buy performance discs. Every autoparts store I call they always offer two kinds of rotors the oem quality (more expensive) and the jobber economical quality (less expensive). I never step onto a track and only once have I really raced someone on the street and never again especialy since I drive my rsx a lot less often now cause of my job ( got company car).

Im just confused on whether I should go with better quality, though twice as much money or the less better quality and twice as less.

I thinking, seeing as though I dont use my car to much any more, it wont matter too much to go with a rotor that isnt oem quality (probably wont last as long though).

I need to make a dicision based on these facts and fast because the braking vibrating on the pedal situation is worsening.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts