Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about all the little mods that you can do on the cheap to make the ep3 more fun to drive, here are some of the things I have done to mine.

Crash bolts about $26
http://www.clubrsx.com/clubep3/ING-81280-p-ARSXSCKF.html

Super simple to install, just remove the top bolt, loosen the bottom bolt and install the crash bolt. Make sure you read the directions so you install the bolts with the washer in the right way. A set of crash bolts allow you in increase the front negative camber buy 1.5 to2.0 degrees. Negative camber will allow your car to take a better set in the turns.

Performance alinments about $70

The stock alinment specs are designed to make you civic handle like a civic, that is lots of understeer at the limit. Preformance alinments should be different depending on the mods you have done to your car. To get a performance alinment is not as easy as it may sound. Places like PEEPBOYS and AUTO ZONE have poorly trained high school drop outs that use a computer controled alinment rack. They have no idea how to do things with out the computer telling them what to do. If you are bone stock, my advice is to to talk to your local shops, ask them is they can give you the toe settings you want. I suggest you try zero toe in the rear and 1/32 of a inch TOE OUT in the front. Now remember, toe is what kills tires, but a little toe out in the front will really wake up your ep3's turn in. That is you turn the wheel and the car will dive for the turn. The car is set up stock with toe in to help strait line cruzing, a little toe out in the front will make the car kinda want to wonder on uneven roads but the better turn in maners out weigh that imo....give it a shot, see what you think.

Loose the splash front sheilds!....$0 bucks baby

The spash shields are there incase you live in a place where you have to drive through pools of oil, so if you do this a lot, you best skip this one.:ugh: For me this was a great mod. Here is the issue, the ep3 is under braked. The ep3 has 10.2 inch disks ft and rear, the rsx type-s has 11.75 inch disks in the front even though the cars are very close to the same weight. How of you know this might be a good mod for you? Well if you have ever felt brake fade or felt the brake peddle "pulse" like you have a warped rotor(that is really just a cooked pad), its a good mod. The ep3's splash shields are also to dam close to the brake rotors, this is bad for air cooled brakes on a 2700 lb car. Here is how you do it
1) jack up the car, support it so you do not drop it on yourself( that will wreck the whole day).
2) pull the wheels and calipers( do not let the calipers hang by the brake lines!!!! I bend up a wire coat hanger and hang them from the springs). Next you need to pull the brake rotors. These are held in place by 2 philleps head bolts that seem to love to freeze up..If you can not get them out, just drill them out with a large drill bit. After the rotor is loose, pull it off, the remains of the bolts will be sticking out and you can grab the with a vise grip and turn them out that way....honda sells replacements for about .39 cents each, they can be replaced later, the lugs hold the rotors in place anyway.
3) Ok now you can get to the splash shields. There are 4 6mm bolts that hold them in place, I used a vise grip to grab them. Once they are loose you will notice that the shield will not fit over the lug carrior. You need to cut the sheet metal in 2 places by the notch where the caliper goes and you can slide the shield off....
4) now put every thing back togather and you are done! Your brakes will run much cooler. :thumbsup:

Index your plugs Nothing if you are lucky

What is indexing your plugs you may ask? Well, it is getting the plugs set up so the open part of electrode is pointed toward the intake valves, this allows the air/fuel mixture better access to the spark energy. Some people do not notice this but I have found that my butt dyno feels about a 5hp gain.....up to you but in the old days this was a good racers trick. Here is how you do it......Beside the regular tools, you are going to need black marker and a flashlight.
1) pull the plug cover and coil packs
2) pull the plugs and take note of where each one came from....
NOTE: if you have more than 50,000 miles on the pluggs, replace them you cheap bastard, I know they are supose to last 100,000 miles but they are in decline after 50,000 miles...:shakehead
3) now clean the white part of the plugs and mark it where the electrode is open.
4) Put the plug back in and look at where the electrode is open, you want it pointed towards the front of the car where the intake valves are.....if it is not right, well try another plug. The threads are not the same on any of the plugs so each one should line up in a different direction....make sure you tighen the plugs down, That "crimp washer" needs to seal or you could get blow by around the plug threads( not good!). The last couple times I did this, I have been lucky and was able to just use 4 plugs to get them all lined up with the intake valves....but I have had to use 6 in the past.
5) put everything back togather and pull the ecu fuse for a minute in the under hood fuse box to clear the ecu ....start the car and let it idle for a couple minutes to relearn the idle and take the car for a drive....see what you think.
FYI....There there are indexing kits for sale that consist of a plate with a threaded hole for your spark plug and some copper spacer washers.....but I have never need to use them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My friend and I dyed his side markers and front bumper markers using orange rit dye from walmart. Costs $1.60 and some patience, it turned out really nice. It contrasts really well on the NHBP. There is a DIY on ephatch for it.

*Not a performance mod, I know, but something cheap to make it look cleaner* ;)

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always wondered if indexing plugs really did anything on any Honda engine. I may have to test it out one day.
seemed to help.....but no numbers to back it up.

·
-Taste The Rainbow-
23,678 Posts
nice post gramps :thumbsup:

edit: lol, just looked at your IP and noticed you wrote this at work haha, glad you're keeping busy on the job :rotfl:

·
Alone<Team
14 Posts
I removed my front mud flaps a week or 2 ago. the brakes are definitely more responsive after being hard on them, whereas before they felt a little slushy. strangest part, I found a sock behind my splash guard after removing it, somehow it wedged itself up there!

·
Mercedes Benz w204 C350
3,612 Posts
I removed my front mud flaps a week or 2 ago. the brakes are definitely more responsive after being hard on them, whereas before they felt a little slushy. strangest part, I found a sock behind my splash guard after removing it, somehow it wedged itself up there!
:rotfl:

·
Alone<Team
14 Posts
yea, it was so damn muddy, I didn't know what it was until I got the entire thing yanked out. than I was like :noes: and immediately washed my hands. It still boggles my mind how in the hell it got up there.

·
Égrish i speak it
297 Posts
good thread. cant go wront with cheap/free mods.

one thing i notice though in the splash guard part was about the screws in the rotors. my suggestion would be to skip drilling them out and go to pepboys and pick up an Impact Driver. can be had for $20 or so. works like a charm.

for those that dont know what id does. it takes a bit, such as philips for our rotors, and place it in the driver then put it on the screws, making sure it is spinning the right way, and hit the end with a hammer. it then forces the screw to turn without stripping it. if you do brakes often this is a wise tool to invest in.

·
Muahahahahaha
1,170 Posts
Rear tower strut bar, regardless of type, make a big improvement in the handling of our cars.....Of course the better manufactured bars are better, but even the e-bay brand bars make one hella difference :thumbsup: IMHO

1 - 20 of 37 Posts