Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so looping story short. I have a 2003 acura rsx type s. Ran good when I got it off the lot, but then I ran into a lot of problems. The main problem was that the battery wouldn't keep the car charged after sitting there over night. After looking at it realized the connections were just loose everything was good. Now to the bigger problem I noticed that the engine would not idle on its own and started to shut off if I did not hit the gas. The check engine light was also blinking!!!! I changed spark plugs, two fuel injectors, 8 valves in the head on the intake side. A mechanic strongly suggested that my timing chain and tensioner went bad so im getting a whole new kit to replace those parts. If all of this doesn't solve the problem what might it be??? HELP!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the 8 in the head on the intake side because they were prematurely deteriorating. So I just got it out of the way . Im getting a new head gasket and the new chain and t ensioners and all that are currently being put on. But I had somebody pull the codes and there were multiple ones coming up so we couldn't narrow the problem. If it was a misfire do yoy know all the parts I would have to change?

·
Banned
3,173 Posts
Was the coolant or oil checked to see if exhaust gasses were present or do a leak down test to see that it needs a head gasket? It sounds like you're just throwing parts at it.

How can you not narrow the problem? List all of the codes. Is it a random misfire, or isolated to one cylinder?

A misfire could be a dead injector, coil pack, possibly primary o2, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the leak down test. Solved that probelm. And it was a random misfire. But im not necessarily throwing parts. Just fixing things that were messed up in the first place. But im prob gonna look at the o2 next

·
Registered
623 Posts
You should really pull the codes before you do anything. If you can pin point what cylinder the misfire is occurring in, you could move the injector or coil to another to see if the code follows those parts.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Did the leak down test. Solved that probelm. And it was a random misfire. But im not necessarily throwing parts. Just fixing things that were messed up in the first place. But im prob gonna look at the o2 next
Your method of troubleshooting the car is to take it to a mechanic and throw parts at it, yes youre throwing parts at it.

Why do you need to replace the head gasket? timing tensioners and 8 valves? What was the point of spending cash in taking the head apart and off the motor for 8 valves, did they not use a new head gasket when they changed the valves? Why do you still need one?

You do realize that to change the valves you have to pull the head off the block, which means you NEED a new headgasket before putting it together, so why not get all those parts and do it all at once instead of in chapters?

Either way, there was no need to replace 8 valves and timing tensioner, you clearly found out by scanning the codes that the problem was a misfire. Next time scan the codes before you start throwing parts at it.

How and why were the valves "worn prematurely" and did you see this "wear" seems like your mechanic is just giving you a list of things to change and hes cashing in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did take the head off and took it to a machine shop it had to be done anyways therefore I needed a new head gasket. This is my first time owning a car like this so I dont know much. I asked for help not a lecture. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your method of troubleshooting the car is to take it to a mechanic and throw parts at it, yes youre throwing parts at it.

Why do you need to replace the head gasket? timing tensioners and 8 valves? What was the point of spending cash in taking the head apart and off the motor for 8 valves, did they not use a new head gasket when they changed the valves? Why do you still need one?

You do realize that to change the valves you have to pull the head off the block, which means you NEED a new headgasket before putting it together, so why not get all those parts and do it all at once instead of in chapters?

Either way, there was no need to replace 8 valves and timing tensioner, you clearly found out by scanning the codes that the problem was a misfire. Next time scan the codes before you start throwing parts at it.

How and why were the valves "worn prematurely" and did you see this "wear" seems like your mechanic is just giving you a list of things to change and hes cashing in.
It was the timing chain after all. Had to get the whole kit . The car runs perfect now ! I did everything I thought I had to do

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was the timing chain like I said. I had to buy the whole kit obviously as well. Runs amazing now, but thanks for the help anyways!

·
cheesin'
450 Posts
I did take the head off and took it to a machine shop it had to be done anyways therefore I needed a new head gasket. This is my first time owning a car like this so I dont know much. I asked for help not a lecture. Thanks

How is that not helping you? They're right, just take their advice and learn for next time. You said yourself that you are new to this. :stfu::face:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was the coolant or oil checked to see if exhaust gasses were present or do a leak down test to see that it needs a head gasket? It sounds like you're just throwing parts at it.

How can you not narrow the problem? List all of the codes. Is it a random misfire, or isolated to one cylinder?

A misfire could be a dead injector, coil pack, possibly primary o2, etc.
I going to try the o2 already changed the coil packs injectors spark plugs replace timing chain exc having the same problem I will let y’all know how it runs after I try the o2s

·
Registered
188 Posts
I going to try the o2 already changed the coil packs injectors spark plugs replace timing chain exc having the same problem I will let y’all know how it runs after I try the o2s
Read this again and learn? You are the reincarnation of the last guy so many years ago.....By all means, do the o2's and let us know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts