Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2004 base with stock speakers and a pioneer head unit, and I think my oem tweeters are blown so I've been looking at the aftermarket.

I was thinking about getting these, but I've never done speaker-related stuff so I have a few questions.

1. A lot of articles I've been reading seem to mention a crossover of some sort between the head unit to the tweeter but from the wiring diagram of the audio system I don't see that. Does the car actually have one, and if it doesn't would I need to get one when I buy an aftermarket tweeter?

2. Considering that the aftermarket speakers I've linked handle up to 100 watts RMS, would it still work with the stock configuration? From taking out the old tweeter, I'm thinking the stock ones have a much lower RMS.

I'm mainly just trying to figure out how to tell if an aftermarket tweeter will work in my car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You’re overthinking this.
Most aftermarket tweeters will come with speaker wires that have an in-line crossover. If the tweeters you’re looking at don’t have it, then you need to buy a pair (the set you linked does have them).
The power rating on the speakers doesn’t matter. 100 watts RMS means that the speakers can continuously be run at the power level safely, not that they draw 100 watts. The amp built into your stereo is what determines the power output, which is probably 25 watts per channel. The tweeters will not draw much more.

The problem with aftermarket tweeters is that they won’t fit in the factory location without fabricating something. I ended up mounting them above the speaker in the door panel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You’re overthinking this.
Most aftermarket tweeters will come with speaker wires that have an in-line crossover. If the tweeters you’re looking at don’t have it, then you need to buy a pair (the set you linked does have them).
The power rating on the speakers doesn’t matter. 100 watts RMS means that the speakers can continuously be run at the power level safely, not that they draw 100 watts. The amp built into your stereo is what determines the power output, which is probably 25 watts per channel. The tweeters will not draw much more.

The problem with aftermarket tweeters is that they won’t fit in the factory location without fabricating something. I ended up mounting them above the speaker in the door panel.
Thanks! That's actually very helpful.

I'm also concerned about noise output. Given that these will be directly connected to the stereo via a crossover that comes with them and no external amp, will these be loud enough? From what I've read, the sensitivity rating for speakers is related to how loud they are (i.e. the higher the sensitivity, the louder they are for a given amount of power).

Also, how did you route the wiring for the tweeters for the door panel setup you have? Did you route the original wiring for the tweeter through the door grommet with all the other wires for the door controls?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It’ll be plenty loud, just re-tune your equalizer in order to balance things out. I tapped directly into my speakers. I took whatever slack was left over and secured it with zip ties behind the door panel. I put them in front of the door handle at the top corner, similar to how the DC2 Integra had them.
An external amp would really make everything come alive. Even as little as 50 watts to each channel would sound good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts