Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey sorry if this was already asked but i couldnt find anything on it... will a new civic si lsd fit in my 03 rsx-s i have the oppertunity to get it very cheap if it will work

·
Banned
2,513 Posts
Yes it'll work, from what I know, might wanna get new bearings and some have needed new shims and you'll also need the Si lsd bolts because they're longer

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know much about LSD's so out of curiousity if im to launch at 3500 now and i get the lsd and launch at that is it going to "knock the wind out of it" so to speak? also whats the chance of breaking an axel after getting this?

·
Bar'd
2,910 Posts
chances are the same if u had an open differential but you definitely notice the lsd mostly in corners. I can tell the difference in straight aways but its not much difference. All the k-series lsd are same so they are swapable.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what do you mean by you notice it in the corners? traction wise or noise?...ive heard it can make a chattering noise with your tires is this true?

·
7,611 Posts
Civic LSD definitely fits, and I recommend the Civic LSD bolts because they are longer, the OEM bolt threads won't fully engage because of the difference in length. IDK just how important this is, though.

It doesn't chatter - it's not a clutch type or a solid diff.

It pulls the car through turns when you step on the gas - reduced understeer, because both front wheels are getting power, without the inside wheel spinning under hard acceleration in a tight corner.

Definitely a great handling mod, together with a larger (relative to front) rear sway bar. (Not to mention the other great handling mods, they're not to be diminished either)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
chances are the same if u had an open differential but you definitely notice the lsd mostly in corners. I can tell the difference in straight aways but its not much difference. All the k-series lsd are same so they are swapable.
I drove my ep with open diff since 03. ever since i installed lsd this past march, it is so much more noticable on a take off and straight aways. It just wants to go straight now, instead of jerking to the right all the time.
In my experience with lsd conversion, so to speak, It is much more noticable all around. but yea, lsd rocks :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,513 Posts
So what are all the parts needed to install a SI LSD into a 02-04 Type S tranny. And mean everything?
You need the Civic Si diff bolts (longer) I would replace the bearings anyways and some say that they've gotten away with the stock shims and didn't need a different size. That's pretty much it.

·
7,611 Posts
Yeah, not a bad idea to replace the bearings as long as you're in there. And, not necessary if you have a press or access to one, but I bought a new speed gear just so I could have it pressed onto the diff and therefore be ready to go.

Of course, I didn't know about the longer bolts so I was not ready to go after all. Waited a week for those special order bolts to arrive.

Oh, BTW, the guy that pressed the speed gear said it went on really easily. IDK if that means you could get away with using something other than a press to install it or not....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bumping this just to be sure this still applies since this thread is older and there might be year changes that someone can enlighten me about.

I've got a K24A2 turbo swapped into my MR2, using an RSX base 5spd w/ open diff. I bought a 2016 Civic Si 6spd w/ LSD. I've done a calculator to compare the gearing ratio differences and the RSX ratios are better for turbo so I'm not spending most of my time shifting. My plans are to swap the 6th geatset and LSD over to my RSX trans.

Below is a chart I made showing the MPH I'll be doing at redline based on my current 5spd ratios vs the 6spd ratios, hence why I'm only going to swap over the 6th gear and LSD.

Attachments

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,179 Posts
Wow! That is somethin! I can't imagine how fun that would be. TOYONDA! lol

I swapped the Si LSD tranny as a whole into my 05 Type S. You have to use the RSX shifter mechanism that inserts inside the top of the tranny though to make sure the gears aren't reversed up & down (fore & aft... Si mechanism will make 2nd be 1st, 1st be 2nd, 4 is 3, 3 is 4, etc. I don't think you'll have this problem since you are using the RSX tranny, but something for others to be aware of.

Also, you circled the wrong ASU5 transmission. Should be PNN4!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts