Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mr. Poe
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright guys I have been noticing some noise coming from my suspension area on the front passenger side. The only time there is noise is if I am coasting over a bumpy area or if I am at slow speeds or sitting still and move my steering wheel back and forth.

The noise is best described as a "crank" when turning the wheel. When I am coasting on a bumpy surface it sounds like a bad suspension bushing-(wheel sounds loose).

So I had my car in the air last night changing the oil so I figured I would investigate further. I am able to move the front right wheel some back and forth as though there is a wheel bearing problem but I'm am not convinced that is the issue because I haven't heard any "whining" or what I call 4WD noise at high speeds.

It is hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from but it CAN be reproduced when I move the front right wheel as described above. I checked my tie rods and stuff and didn't notice anything that would make me believe that is what it is.

My guess is that it is a bad wheel bearing or possibly a bad strut. It looks as though when I move the wheel the whole strut assembly moves with it EXCEPT for the "piston" itself.- The piston and upper pillowball mount look as though they stay stationary during the process of shaking the wheel.

Anyone have any input as to what this might be? wheel bearing? bad strut? something else all together?
To help a possible diagnosis my suspension setup is Ksport Kontrol Pro full coilovers with camber adjusting pillowball upper mounts AND "di vinci designs" modified tie rods - (allow for extra adjust-ability when the car is lowered beyond the capabilities of the stock tie rods)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to solve this issue soon because I am putting a new set of wheels and tires on the car for spring and I don't want this issue to cause me to eat through those nice new tires. Thanks in advance guys!:thumbsup:

·
Mr. Poe
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh I wanted to also add that I do have some noise from the springs settling very frequently but this noise doesn't "resonant" the same way that a settling spring does.

·
Mr. Poe
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got it in the air now. All the nuts are tight, bushings look great. The lower ball joint has a ripped boot but I can't tell if that's what is causing it. Could be that or the wheel bearing. I'm still perplexed lol

·
Mr. Poe
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It almost looks like it could be the tie rod end is loose... could that be it? It doesn't have a "jam nut" holding the tie rod end tightly. I don't know if its supposed to have one or not.. I used a scissor jack to hold the steering arm in place and we tried shaking the wheel and it didn't move or have any noise.

·
Mr. Poe
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I meant there was no nut on the threaded portion of the tie rod to tighten up against the tie rod end to keep it from twisting back and forth on the threads.. popped a 19mm nut on the tie rod, put the tie rod end back on and tightened that 19mm nut down against the tie rod end and WALA! No more noise or movement from the hub.. god you can't trust shops to do anything.

·
1,884 Posts
Is your car lowered on coilovers? If it is make sure they are locked tightly.. get a hammer and bang the rings till they're really tight. Worked for me when i had the same problem

·
Mr. Poe
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is your car lowered on coilovers? If it is make sure they are locked tightly.. get a hammer and bang the rings till they're really tight. Worked for me when i had the same problem
And yes you are correct. It is always good to make sure your coilovers are tight if they are full coilovers with threaded strut bodies because if they are loose that lets them move freely from the bottom mount and give the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.