Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm getting pretty set on my detail supplies... But I'm still not clear on the clay bar.

From what I understand you only need a quick detailer to work with the clay bar correct? I got meguiars quick detailer already, all I need is the bar right?
And say if I was to go to autozone and pick up that "kit" clay bar kit that has 2 bars, how many times would I be able to do the whole car? I heard you cut it up into pieces, but other says you use the bar once for each car. And last time I was at autozone I didn't check to see if they have only clay, anyone know if they do? Or if advanced auto has it?

And how "dangerous" is clay baring a car? From what I understand as long as its lubed its fine, once its dry surface you scratch the car. My friend is freaking out and telling me that I'll screw the car up big time.

·
Car Care Extraordinaire
2,147 Posts
Well I'm getting pretty set on my detail supplies... But I'm still not clear on the clay bar.

From what I understand you only need a quick detailer to work with the clay bar correct? I got meguiars quick detailer already, all I need is the bar right?
And say if I was to go to autozone and pick up that "kit" clay bar kit that has 2 bars, how many times would I be able to do the whole car? I heard you cut it up into pieces, but other says you use the bar once for each car. And last time I was at autozone I didn't check to see if they have only clay, anyone know if they do? Or if advanced auto has it?

And how "dangerous" is clay baring a car? From what I understand as long as its lubed its fine, once its dry surface you scratch the car. My friend is freaking out and telling me that I'll screw the car up big time.
Yes, you can use either a dedicated QD or you can just use soapy water (same as what you wash a car). I find the soapy solution to work MUCH better then the QD, and it's cheaper but that's user opinion.

Most Auto stores sell 'clay kits' if you want just the clay bars you either gotta go to a dedicated detailing store or online. I know at my Autozone they sell the Clay Magic kit which is only $10. That's probably your best bet. If not I'm quite sure Advanced Auto has the Mother's clay kit.

It's not dangerous as long as you keep it lubed and continue to clean and fold your clay so that your not scratching the paint. Make sure you don't use too much lube or else the clay won't pick up containments. It's actually pretty easy, and you'll realize the optimal amount of lube. You can actually hear the clay picking up all the wonderful crap on your paint.

·
Need Help ?
1,891 Posts
Yes you can cut the clay into 4 piece. Thats what I do. Always knead it after each panel. Don't use car soap as clay lube. You leave soap residue and it can deteriorate the clay. Most auto paint supplie store would have have clay by itself and also detailing supplies.

·
Professional Detailer
5,103 Posts
I use the soapy water as my lube, but then again I detail full time and time is money. I never leave any residue or anything behind. I may be going through clay quicker than I should, but that's fine, I get it dirt cheap cause I buy direct in bulk. But this way leaves nothing but excellent results for me.

·
Need Help ?
1,891 Posts
I use the soapy water as my lube, but then again I detail full time and time is money. I never leave any residue or anything behind. I may be going through clay quicker than I should, but that's fine, I get it dirt cheap cause I buy direct in bulk. But this way leaves nothing but excellent results for me.
What soap are you using. Are you washing the car after ???

·
Professional Detailer
5,103 Posts
What soap are you using. Are you washing the car after ???
I use a soap from a place I use to work at. We made detailing chemicals. It smells awesome and suds up really really nice. After I clay the area using the soap as lubrication I run the wash mitt over the area again after have given it a thorough rinse before hand. I have never once had a problem this way.

·
Need Help ?
1,891 Posts
I use a soap from a place I use to work at. We made detailing chemicals. It smells awesome and suds up really really nice. After I clay the area using the soap as lubrication I run the wash mitt over the area again after have given it a thorough rinse before hand. I have never once had a problem this way.
Do you go over with the wash mitt wet ???

·
Registered
113,845 Posts
word, I also use soapy warm water as the lube....using QD gets expensive in a hurry

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I wanna use a clay bar but I'm afraid I would mess up and fuck up the paint. My sister has a black '98 Integra that really needs it, but again, I'm afraid if I mess up, it would really show.
impossible to mess up ur car while claying, just make sure you wash it afterwards and follow up with a good polish and sealant.:coffee:

·
JDM>USDM
38,437 Posts
impossible to mess up ur car while claying, just make sure you wash it afterwards and follow up with a good polish and sealant.:coffee:
I thought some people just wash, then clay, then polish without washing again....or am I wrong?

Plus I thought if you don't clay correctly, it shows swirls and other marks all over the paint or was I misinformed about that :dontknow:

·
Need Help ?
1,891 Posts
I thought some people just wash, then clay, then polish without washing again....or am I wrong?

Plus I thought if you don't clay correctly, it shows swirls and other marks all over the paint or was I misinformed about that :dontknow:

The only reason you see some people wash after polishing is to remove the polishing oils(Fillers). So the paint has a nice clean surface for wax to bond to. Which mean's your sealant or wax has better durability.

·
Professional Detailer
5,103 Posts
Do you go over with the wash mitt wet ???
after I clay the certain area, I go over that area again after putting it back through the two bucket system. Trust, the ONLY thing wrong with this is that I may go through clay a little quicker.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.