Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup peeps,

Well awhile ago i installed JDM yellow Luminics bulbs in my car and did it on a rainy day cuz i was too excited but in my garage of course. No water got inside directly but i guess the the humid air was sealed inside and it started showing up as condensation on the inside of the lens after the weather cleared up. I managed to get the condensation dryed out BUT now i have a lot of these water spots on the inside of my headlight lenses. I already had DIY blackouts before i got the bulbs in, so i do know how to remove the lens. I was wondering if there is a way to clean the inside of the lens without scratching it or leaving a residue on it. From the outside when you get close to my car it looks like a very very light foggy film on the inside lens. I need this info ASAP because my ProLumen 6000K HID kit (seperate thread for that later) is in the mail and i want to do everything at once.

Thanks

·
DNA all over bish!
10,639 Posts
if it's just condensation just leave it out in the sun and it should dissipate for the most part. actually it should get rid of it all. i had to open up my headlamps a few times because i had some technical problems with my retrofit. each time i put the lamp parts together and sealed it together the seal was even more impeccable than stock. my guess is that the internal environment of the headlamps needs to equalize with the surrounding environment.

·
-------------------------
5,640 Posts
That's right, just leave it out in the sun for a while and it should be ok.

Also, I find that if you seal the headlights "too well" then you might actually lock that condensation in. Leave the car in the sun and leave one of the rubber caps off from the back of the headlight. This will give the condensation a chance to escape. I just drive without one rubber cap on the back of the headlight and I have never had a drop of condensation in there. (and ive driven through crazy rainstorms too)

good luck!

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the its not condensation actually...its that residue that was left behind from the condensation. They're waterspots. Kinda like when put water on glass and let it dry without wiping it off. It leaves spots from the minerals in the water.

·
DNA all over bish!
10,639 Posts
^oh if it's residue you're talking about then your best bet is to take your lamps apart and clean it up from the inside. that's very laborious but i think if there's enough spots to warrant you to open the lamps up then do it but if it's just a few spots then i just say just wing it. it shouldn't be all that bad.

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its only noticeable when sunlight hits it directly, but it still pisses me off just because im a perfectionist like that. Its mainly in the highbeam area since thats where it fogged up. I searched and found a post by RSX-CT (the headlight retrofitter guy) hidden in some long ass thread. He said use alcohol to clean it and then immediately wash with soap and water before the alcohol evaporates. So im gonna do that and use cotton balls since those are really soft. Then after i install the HID kit, gonna throw in 2 packs of silica gel so i wont get the problem again. Then take pics and make a thread about my new HIDs..woot woot

·
DNA all over bish!
10,639 Posts
haha you're set then! make sure you wipe off the alcohol because it evaporates rapidly. i had some oxidation due to leaving alcohol on the inside of the lense. it sucks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts