Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Member
Joined
·
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering if it is ok to clean an Injen SRI with a K&N recharger filter care service kit? It comes with an air filter cleaner and an air filter oil spray. I am pretty much noob about cars and just want to make sure that this recharger kit that I got is infact safe to use on the SRI because the instructions that came with the kit show them cleaning a filter that is circular, no conish ones for the intake. Thanks for any replies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
its OKAY ;) goodluck
 

·
Central PA AMSOIL dealer
Joined
·
5,590 Posts
Spy said:
Oh cool thanks , will be cleaning it soon then. :)
just make sure you let the filter dry naturally (no compressed air, or hairdryer) and don't over oil it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
is it bad to clean the cone filter with just water and a brush and then let dry?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
NO! It's not okay. It will catch on fire if you do that!
 

·
Central PA AMSOIL dealer
Joined
·
5,590 Posts
nlaing said:
NO! It's not okay. It will catch on fire if you do that!
WTF? I don't think it will catch fire. Maybe I'm missing your sarcasm. That's not a very smart way to clean your filter. Get a $10 K&N filter service kit and clean it per their directions.
 

·
Tyler
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
How often do you guys clean yours. I have been told 10000 and I've been told 30000. I live in a very suburban area and there is very little dust in the air here.
 

·
Central PA AMSOIL dealer
Joined
·
5,590 Posts
talyler said:
How often do you guys clean yours. I have been told 10000 and I've been told 30000. I live in a very suburban area and there is very little dust in the air here.
Generally, if you have an open filter intake then it's going to get dirty a ton quicker then a filter inside an airbox. I'm going to clean the filter in my Mugen box every 10K miles. If you're running an open filter intake, I'd suggest every 5K miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,711 Posts
I've heard that the filters run better when they are a little more dirty.. the dirt collects and keeps the crap out of the engine... I think every 5k is a little much... But that's just IMO. I thought every 30-50 thousand miles was the time to clean it...
 

·
Central PA AMSOIL dealer
Joined
·
5,590 Posts
Scottie said:
I've heard that the filters run better when they are a little more dirty.. the dirt collects and keeps the crap out of the engine... I think every 5k is a little much... But that's just IMO. I thought every 30-50 thousand miles was the time to clean it...
Not completely true. Wet-Type cotton gauze filters like the K&N will filter better the dirtier they get, but will flow worse. The point of installing an intake is to produce more power, so cleaning it every 5K miles is probably the best thing to keep the same amount of power production. Especially an open filter type intake, since they tend to get very dirty very quickly compared to a filter in a box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,711 Posts
Yea, but in the rsx, there is so much more area for the air to flow compared to say a prelude which with a short ram is close to the front of the car. I don't think that in the RSX the filters get dirty as fast... I have 7500 miles on my car, and it isn't that dirty... I'm thinking of maybe using the K&N supercharge kit soon, but the filter truely isn't that dirty, and I live in a new neighborhood...
 

·
Central PA AMSOIL dealer
Joined
·
5,590 Posts
Scottie said:
Yea, but in the rsx, there is so much more area for the air to flow compared to say a prelude which with a short ram is close to the front of the car. I don't think that in the RSX the filters get dirty as fast... I have 7500 miles on my car, and it isn't that dirty... I'm thinking of maybe using the K&N supercharge kit soon, but the filter truely isn't that dirty, and I live in a new neighborhood...
A SRI on an RSX will get pretty dirty due to the fact that the filter is sitting so close to the open wheel well. Although, I would expect a CAI to get even more dirty because it's subject to more exposure from the foglamp hole. You said you have 7500 miles on the car, but how many miles do you have with that intake? I'm just saying, an open filter intake is going to get more dirty then a filter in a box. K&N rates their cleaning mileage off of their drop in filters, not the open filter intake. Besides, the cleaning kit is only $10, so it's not breaking the bank to clean the filter at least every oil change.
 

·
Central PA AMSOIL dealer
Joined
·
5,590 Posts
DavidT said:
Damn you guys argue about everything on this board don't ya? :D
We aren't argueing, we are discussing. :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,711 Posts
7900rpms said:
A SRI on an RSX will get pretty dirty due to the fact that the filter is sitting so close to the open wheel well. Although, I would expect a CAI to get even more dirty because it's subject to more exposure from the foglamp hole. You said you have 7500 miles on the car, but how many miles do you have with that intake? I'm just saying, an open filter intake is going to get more dirty then a filter in a box. K&N rates their cleaning mileage off of their drop in filters, not the open filter intake. Besides, the cleaning kit is only $10, so it's not breaking the bank to clean the filter at least every oil change.
I put the SRI on right after break in.. about 800-1000 miles.. so te intake has about 6500 on it...
 

·
Central PA AMSOIL dealer
Joined
·
5,590 Posts
Scottie said:
I put the SRI on right after break in.. about 800-1000 miles.. so te intake has about 6500 on it...
Have you checked the underside of the filter? I'm just saying, to keep your performance up to par from when it was new, I'd clean it every time you do an oil change. I do my oil/oil filter changes every 5K-10K miles, so this is when I plan on doing my filter maintenance too. I just want to make sure I'm getting top performance from my intake. Considering the price of the filter maintenance kit, I'd say it's a cheap and usful form of maintenance.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top