Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
purbread.com
7,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i've used simple green degreaser as many have suggested to clean my disgusting used mugen pedals and that cleared up the mesh part pretty well. Too bad i didnt have a before picture of the pedals.

The problem now is that, my first attempt at cleaning the pedals. I used a white cream cleanser that had a small acidic compound in it, which left a dark/black mark on the pedal! :(
You can see the dark mark on the first pic, on the side of the middle pedal and on the gas pedal u'll see it clearly. The simple green didnt move those black marks at all, would dipping the pedals in simple green overnight be a bad idea???
the white cream cleanser worked well on my muffler tip which was also aluminum so i didnt expect this to happen.

Can anyone suggest to me what i could do to get rid of those marks? I know they wont be too noticeable once i slap them on, but i want them to be as clean as possible before i install them.

after simple green

Cliffs:
what do i use to clean pedals if simple green dont work?
would dipping the pedals in simple green overnight be a bad idea???
what material is the mugen pedals?

·
Need Help ?
1,891 Posts
Is the white stuff you use, Mothers mag and aluminum polish ??? Have you tried steel wool #0000 with a different metal polish like NXT all metal polish or Nevrdull and then wipe with damp terry cloth.

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
i used a rough steel wool the first time and made some bad scratches on one of the pedals too :crying:
It's like sanding.
Rough stuff leaves marks.
Work your way down to a #0000 steel wool to get rid of the marks left by the rougher ones.
And try something like Wenol or Blue Magic.

As for acid discoloration - it's generally not coming off.

·
purbread.com
7,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can actually 'feel' the acid discoloration' by hand, so maaaaybe i could scrub it off
gonna look into the fine steel wool, would canadian tire have it? or i need to go to home depot
should i still get the mother mag and aluminum polish?
or use the bluemagic/wenol u mentioend instead

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
canadian tire should have bluemagic
i've seen it b4

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
canadian tire doesnt have the wenol/bluemagic, where could i grab those?
Wenol is often with the household metal cleaners.
Some branches of Canadian Tire carry Blue Magic... it's hit and miss.

The steel wool is easy to find at Home Depot. They probably have Wenol there too.
In fact, I've been on a bit of a Canadian Tire hate thing lately. Every time I've been there looking for something, it hasn't been there. *shakes fist and curses*

·
Need Help ?
1,891 Posts
Well actually you dip the steel wool in the metal polish or scoop some onto the steel wool pad and then move onto using a mf, foam or terry cloth for the next step. Remember to wipe the surface after each time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts