Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you guys use some kind of degreasing spray and then wipe, or hose it down with a low pressure hose or just wipe with a damp cloth?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I usually just use a paper towel that is a little damp or has something on it like windex so that it takes the grime out of the engine...it seems to work pretty well and no problems with anything

·
Banned
10,065 Posts
run the engine until the cooling fans come on and then spray the entire engine bay with a hose and everything will steam right off (don't do that)

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,813 Posts
I use a Euro Pro steamer. The jet of steam is perfect for hard to reach areas and takes off all that dirt and grime. I do this at least once a month.

·
Registered
637 Posts
VTECdTypS said:
do you guys use some kind of degreasing spray and then wipe, or hose it down with a low pressure hose or just wipe with a damp cloth?
I use a degreaser and assorted brushes. Spray on warm engine, allow to dwell, scrub, rinse. I then dress with a water based dressing, start up and allow everything to dry. I finish up with a final wipe down

Before:

After:

·
Gold Fancy!!
1,551 Posts
wow omg...that look almost brand new. what products did you use? what do you have to cover up? Alternator, fuse box, battery? Nice job :thumbsup: .

·
Registered
682 Posts
Go get some simple green automotive. its a little different than regular green, and has a foaming nozzle. what i do is get the engine just warm, spray it one and let it soak for a minute or two. dont let it dry, and dotn get the engine too warm or the stuff will bake on. then i scrub with a scrub brush, then just rinse off with low pressure. if you have a short ram intake, i would cover the filter. you really cant damage anything too bad, everything is designed to get wet, but just dont be stupid and like spray high pressure water in the fuse box or something. i never use that much water when rinsing, just real quick, and usually use the mist setting. then you can run your engine to operating temp to dry everything. if you prefer, you can then go and spray the plastic stuff with a detailing spray.
http://www.simplegreen.com/products/consumer/automotive1.html

·
trunk monkey
6,180 Posts
no one has really mentioned covering anything up. My dad details cars and I remember he would cover the alternator but i dont know what else.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
just take the intake manifold off and spray some simple green right up into the piston chamber. Dont rinse it out... just fire up the engine and let those pistons do the scrubbing work for you. It sure is easier than getting your arm all tired. phew...

Just kidding... its all simple green a low pressure from a garden hose for me. I dont cover anything up. Should I? if so, what?

·
trunk monkey
6,180 Posts
well i think the alternator definitely and possibly the fuse box and the battery possibly. The rest I think SHOULD be alright but i need some reassurance.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
hrm i need to clean my engine bay soon. tons of salt in there...its gross...

·
Registered
336 Posts
usually, u cover your distributor cap and rotor, cover any exposed wires, if you have an older car with a carbureator, don't wet it or remove it and plug the intake with something so water doesn't get in, then tie a plastic bag over it. i've also heard that some people disconnect the battery, i guess so as to not short anything out. hope that helps. also, simple green works well, so does wd-40. let it soak for a bit, then just rinse off. i wouldn't recommend using to much water pressure. a soft stream should do. the old school guys, when detailing their engines, go so far as to removing the battery, taking out the tray, repainting it, repainting their oil pans (haha), and radiators. but thats if you're really crazy about your engine bay. i am but the car is so new that it still looks good. also, wereever there is paint, like by your strut towers, wash that with car wash soap and let the suds stay on, so that when you apply your degreaser, it won't strip the paint, it'll just trap in the soap suds. i got a lot of my info off some HP Publications car detailing book in case any of you are interested. good luck.

·
What are you made of...
22,074 Posts
I cant wait to clean my engine bay after winter...

·
Registered
501 Posts
nice info

·
Registered
637 Posts
teg1gsr said:
mistaclean, what products did you use on the engine of that truck

is lexol a water base???????

I used a heavy duty degreaser that I buy locally, then an assortment of brushes. I then dressed it with meguiars #40 cut 50/50 with water.

Lexol is for leather, did you mean vinylex? If so, then yes it is water based.

·
Banned
265 Posts
i use a steamer! the pro way. just make sure you cover up wires and the ALT

·
Need Sleep
3,523 Posts
What I usually do is with the car running at norm op temp., I spray the engine down with my garden hose (I have one of those brass nossles on it) and then spray some simple green (50/50 mix) and let it set for a few minutes, making sure the engine doesn't dry. Then I rinse it all off. Works every time. Only thing is sometimes you'll get belt squeel cuz you got some water on the drive belt, but that's no biggie. I don't cover anything up nor do I scrub anything.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
what is "green"?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts