Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about to plasti-dip my roof black bc my clear coat is deteriorating and looks like crap. Do I need to sand it down or can I just plasti-dip over the messed up clear coat?
Thanks for your input.

·
[Insert Title]
2,870 Posts
if its just deteriorating or fading away, then you can just plastidip over it as long as you clean it well before starting. If theres like large holes (rock chip like), it will leave small imprint.

But regardless, you dont need to sand it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
ya and i would peel and redo it every 6 months.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did my hood black because my clear coat was gone. All I did was clean it real good and sprayed it with about 5-6 coats. I was real impressed with the way it looked from a $6 can from Lowes. I would suggest trying the special nozzle from dipyourcar.com as I had a little zebra striping, but that could have been my elite painting skills :sly:. I plan on redoing it soon and try to find something to smooth the rock chips and get the nozzles. Debating on doing my entire car!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
245 Posts
id say if you can plastidip something , you should just rattle can reclear the roof.

i just painted a civic fender and cleared it with rustoleum automotive spray clear, and i also helped my friend seal down the peeling clear coat on his civic rear bumper. we used an air compressor to blast off most of the peeling clear coat first, then used some fine grit sand paper (1000) to taper down the edges of the peeling coat and get any more peels off, then i recleared the area and it make it look 100% better

i can get some pictures if you want .

but then spray painting is a lot harder to do than plastidip.

·
Curious Gooner
3,709 Posts
if its just deteriorating or fading away, then you can just plastidip over it as long as you clean it well before starting. If theres like large holes (rock chip like), it will leave small imprint.

But regardless, you dont need to sand it.
I did my hood black because my clear coat was gone. All I did was clean it real good and sprayed it with about 5-6 coats. I was real impressed with the way it looked from a $6 can from Lowes. I would suggest trying the special nozzle from dipyourcar.com as I had a little zebra striping, but that could have been my elite painting skills :sly:. I plan on redoing it soon and try to find something to smooth the rock chips and get the nozzles. Debating on doing my entire car!

If you plastidip something (hood/roof/etc.) Do you have to clear coat it afterwards? Or just leave it as a almost matte (im guessing) finish? Also if you do clearcoat it does it still peel off easily?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn't clear mine. I liked the matte look. Plastidip sells a glossifier to add a clear coat look. I'm sure if you use regular clear it would be a lot harder to peel off, if it would even be possible.

·
dwelker284
234 Posts
I didn't clear mine. I liked the matte look. Plastidip sells a glossifier to add a clear coat look. I'm sure if you use regular clear it would be a lot harder to peel off, if it would even be possible.

This is correct. Regular clear makes it very hard to peel. It is still removable but chips off pretty much. If your looking for a gloss then there is glossifier but if you want it like regular car gloss then your only option is to rattle can with real paint and clear.

·
[Insert Title]
2,870 Posts
People who are really good at spray canning things are able to make it look flat/matte black while still feeling smooth like as if there was a clearcoat over it. They use plastidip as a base coat sometimes and then rattle can a color option over on top. Then remove it later on when they want a new scheme

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think andypandy was making the point that you could just mask off the car and sand the top and clearcoat it with a couple cans of duplicolor clear instead of plastidip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts