Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So been reading forums but it's never gets answered/solved, but when winter comes and its like 50F or lower the climate control wont turn on and fans don't work therefore I cant defog or defrost my windshield. It will eventually turn on if I drive 30 to 50 minutes depending how cold it is outside and will work like normal after it kicks on. I've changed out thermostat and heater blower transistor but still nothing. Coolant is also topped off and no leaks of coolant anywhere. Don't know what to do with it anymore. Please help if you have any ideas.

· Registered
20 Posts
So been reading forums but it's never gets answered/solved, but when winter comes and its like 50F or lower the climate control wont turn on and fans don't work therefore I cant defog or defrost my windshield. It will eventually turn on if I drive 30 to 50 minutes depending how cold it is outside and will work like normal after it kicks on. I've changed out thermostat and heater blower transistor but still nothing. Coolant is also topped off and no leaks of coolant anywhere. Don't know what to do with it anymore. Please help if you have any ideas.
Why are you randomly changing out parts? Thermostat has nothing to do with it. Coolant has nothing to do with it. Blower motor resister has nothing to do with it. Your best bet is to get an electrical reading at the colder temperatures. Get an electrical test on everything.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issue as the original poster. Below 50 degrees and the entire climate control panel goes dark-- no fans, heat, A/C or anything. I know that cold causes metal to contract so its likely a circuit somewhere along the path that is being broken. This is also tough to troubleshoot because in FL where I live it only gets that cold a few days a year. I'm just concerned that this is a sign of future failure and would also like to heat the car so I don't see my breath inside the cabin. C'mon RSX geniuses-- we need you!

· Registered
949 Posts
Stock head unit? There is a connector associated with the hazard lights that can cause all sorts of problems,
Anyway, you might try the self diagnostic test below.

1. Turn ignition sw off.
2. Turn fan sw off, temp control to max cool, mode control to vent.
3. Turn ignition sw on.
4. Press and hold the recirc button, withing 10 sec press the rear defogger 5 times.
5. Release, and the recirc should blink 2 times and the A/C light comes on.
6. Diagnosis begins. (~15 sec)
7. After the A/C light goes out the recirc should blink the code 1-13 if anything is wrong.
8. If there are problems in the evap temp sensor, the A/C light will blink the code.

Codes: (blinks)

1. Open in in-car temp sensor.
2. Short in in-car temp sensor.
3. Open in outside air temp sensor.
4. Short in outside air temp sensor.
5. Open in sunlight sensor.
6. Short in sunlight sensor.
7. Open in air mix control motor.
8. Short in air mix control motor.
9. Problem in the air mix linkage, door or motor.
10. Open or short in the mode control motor circuit.
11. Problem in the mode control linkage, doors or motor.
12. Problem in the blower motor circuit.
13. Problem in the EEPROM in the climate control unit.
14. Open in the evap temp sensor circuit.
15. Short in the evap temp sensor circuit

· Registered
949 Posts
Stickied at the top of the Problems and Solutions Page.

Here's a thread with a few links...

· Registered
5 Posts
Great, thank you! I found the manual and the 30-pin connector diagram. I take it the connector is in the cabin under the dash? I'll test the power and ground pins this weekend, however, I suspect they will work just fine until the temperature drops again. That's what makes this a tough one to track down-- limited windows of time while outside temps are low. If the temperature drops and the system fails again, how will the power/ground pin test help determine the reason for failure? Perhaps a good question would be-- what components would be affected by ambient temperature changes?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts