Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Internet Crack Dealer
22,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to get our turbo project back under way! I am calling it Project 8 because that is what the goal is for the car, make an 8 second 1/4 mile pass while still being a true street car (aka, be able to drive it home after making the pass, at night). Here is the start of it but I have been building the car since 2002 since there are a lot of pictures that I need to get added that show how the car got to where it is now. I am throwing out the rule book on this car and just building the fastest car that I can with as many shelve parts as I can get. Those parts that are shelve, I will be selling to make the shelve. The goal of this car is a true project car to see what does and doesn't work. I am open to ideas and things you would like to see tested, so feel free to give your feed back and opinions as we go along!

I hope you guys enjoy the build!

http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/SSP8.html

A special thanks goes to the following companies:

Full Race
JE Pistons

·
///M
22,436 Posts
Awesome!

First post! haha...

It is finally the off season and we have to start spending some real money (unfortunately). Our first big purchase was this lovely little turbo from Precision. This is the largest that we can fit given the current design of the exhaust manifold. The turbo is a ball bearing, divided, 4094R with a 1.19 A/R. This will be the starting point of our project to see how much we can make with this turbo. The plan is to step up to a 42R but it will take a lot of work to fit that large of a turbo, downpipe, etc into the engine. A smaller turbo should also help us get the car dialed in at the track. We are use to making the car work making about 1/3 of the horsepower so it will take quite a bit of learning to get it dialed in when we first get it rolling.
Oooooo

·
Internet Crack Dealer
22,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds good, what is the plan for the trans?
I have some ideas but they are still in the very early stages right now (aka, still in my head). I do have some ideas for the clutch that I think will be very helpful in keeping the trans together. I am also thinking about a brace similar to what b-series guys use but my idea should work better. I think that with my ideas that I will be able to make stock gears work and not have any failure problems unless the stock Honda gear is not strong enough. As I develop it and find that it works, I will be selling it for everyone else to benefit. I will be posting up the progress as I go on that stuff too.

yea good luck with the trans and the tensioner problems... maybe bill and skunk 2 will get this worked out soon...
I have never had an issue with my other race motors but this is a different animal than what I am used to building. I have a gut feeling it might be an oil issue where it might drop pressure and not keep a constant tension on the chain, but I could be way wrong in that.

·
Full-Race Stage 2GT
4,737 Posts
I have some ideas but they are still in the very early stages right now (aka, still in my head). I do have some ideas for the clutch that I think will be very helpful in keeping the trans together. I am also thinking about a brace similar to what b-series guys use but my idea should work better. I think that with my ideas that I will be able to make stock gears work and not have any failure problems unless the stock Honda gear is not strong enough. As I develop it and find that it works, I will be selling it for everyone else to benefit. I will be posting up the progress as I go on that stuff too.

I have never had an issue with my other race motors but this is a different animal than what I am used to building. I have a gut feeling it might be an oil issue where it might drop pressure and not keep a constant tension on the chain, but I could be way wrong in that.
do you think the modified s2k pump wiill solve that... cause i know bill with the twin scroll set-up had tensioner problems... i would just hate to see that be a problem... but GL with everything and keep us updated...

·
Internet Crack Dealer
22,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you think the modified s2k pump wiill solve that... cause i know bill with the twin scroll set-up had tensioner problems... i would just hate to see that be a problem... but GL with everything and keep us updated...
I have personally still seen bearing issues with the S2000 oil pump but that is on an all motor engine spinning a lot higher than what this engine will spin at. I will probably move to a wet sump or even up to a dry sump. There is a locally company that makes a bolt on kit for the k-series.

·
Full-Race Stage 2GT
4,737 Posts
I have personally still seen bearing issues with the S2000 oil pump but that is on an all motor engine spinning a lot higher than what this engine will spin at. I will probably move to a wet sump or even up to a dry sump. There is a locally company that makes a bolt on kit for the k-series.
thats good, well what are you going to do about traction? any plans for trying to make traction bars?

·
CLUBRSX.com Supporter
2,904 Posts
It's good to see you guys with a new project on the boards, it's been a while since we've had a new one.

Those aluminum rods look crazy!!!

·
Internet Crack Dealer
22,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats good, well what are you going to do about traction? any plans for trying to make traction bars?
traction is exactly what I have worked on over the past couple of years with this car, I think that low 1.8's on drag radials speaks for itself with more left in it. Traction bars won't work on the RSX's style suspension. If you do a search, I get more indepth in another thread and walk through how you have to design it for an RSX.

It's good to see you guys with a new project on the boards, it's been a while since we've had a new one.

Those aluminum rods look crazy!!!
there are actually two, there is a tube chassis all motor car up there too. :)

·
Full-Race Stage 2GT
4,737 Posts
traction is exactly what I have worked on over the past couple of years with this car, I think that low 1.8's on drag radials speaks for itself with more left in it. Traction bars won't work on the RSX's style suspension. If you do a search, I get more indepth in another thread and walk through how you have to design it for an RSX.

there are actually two, there is a tube chassis all motor car up there too. :)

k i will do that... cause with my car i dont get traction till third:thumbsdow

·
Internet Crack Dealer
22,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How much to slap an ad on your car?
I don't talk about that but it isn't cheap. It is like advertising on Club RSX, you really have to pay if you want to do it.

k i will do that... cause with my car i dont get traction till third:thumbsdow
what kind of tires? slicks?

·
Internet Crack Dealer
22,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.