Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so I’ve been dealing with this problem since I bought the car but I noticed it gradually became more noticeable. I replaced my clutch, flywheel, TOB and PB, put grease on all contact points. When I took my tranny off, I noticed my TOB only had one arm retaining the Clutch fork. Other than that no visual signs of wear. The input shaft had little to no play at all. There is a clunking sound when I turn my ac on. It sounds like it’s coming from the transmission. The video explains for itself. If you guys have any suggestions please reply with all the help you all have to offer!

video link||

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I don’t see any logical reason that your A/C would be causing your trans to generate that sound. Are you sure that’s not from a bad mount?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced all my mounts. Every time I turn my AC on it makes that clunking sound.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have you checked your condenser fan?

How does your car drive when it's on? If it seems to struggle any compared to when the AC is off, check your AC compressor and see if the clutch engages and stays engaged.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you know what, my car does struggle idling when the ac is on. How do I check if the clutch is engaging?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well, it can be hard to see, but on the side of the engine w/ the serpentine belt you need to look at the compressor wheel. It is located toward the front bottom. You should be able to see it engage and disengage by watching the center of it move in and out, respectively. If it keeps going in and out, you should get your A/C system checked to ensure it isn't low on efrigerant. If it doesn't you'll probably want to have it checked for leaks and have them addressed prior to refilling it. If the refrigerant isn't low, then it's probably the compressor which needs rebuilt/replaced. Years ago I had mine replaced w/ a one from NAPA which worked great.

Here's a video which might help you figure out how to view it:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would this only apply to me if my ac isn’t working or is cutting out or does it still apply if my ac is working?

·
Registered
323 Posts
That I can't say for sure. It may be possible for it to work, but I would think eventually it would simply stop working.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also a couple things to note, it goes away when I pull my clutch in. But makes no sense because I replaced my TOB and greased everything pretty good. The other thing is my idle goes up and down to 150 and shoots to 900 then when it finally balances out it stays at 750 and occasionally goes back to 150 and shoots back up and repeats the process throughout me driving the car when my ac is on. when it’s OFF it idles smooth around 750. I did notice at a certain idle rpm, when the AC is on the rattle/clunking noise will go away.. but only for a short period in time.

It may be 2 different issues. 1 being my IACV, I may need to clean it to resolve the idle issue. But the idle issue may be revealing another issue with the clunking/rattling sound. I don’t know… I’m just throwing things out here please help😭

·
Registered
323 Posts
One explanation may be that when you engage the clutch it reduces the load on the engine enough for it to run more smoothly. It could also be a vibration issue. Maybe check your mounts to make sure they're all in good condition.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recently changed out both passanger and driver mounts as well as rear, but not the front. I don’t think it’s the mounts and I also don’t want to keep spending money fixing things until it goes away :/ have you had a problem similar to mine?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I can't say that I ever had that problem, but I had my fair share of odd vibrations which were always hard for me to pin down. A good Acura mechanic usually figured out whatever it was for me. IIRC, the front mount was the one I always had issues w/ breaking. I'd still double check the A/C compressor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You know what might help pinpoint the sound a little more might be one of those automotive stethoscopes, or you could go old school and stick a long screwdriver to your ear and touch around different areas to see if that helps narrow down the area which the sound is emitting from.

If I have time over the weekend I will try and see if I can replicate the rattle on my car. When rpms drop real low, things tend vibrate alot more. I'll see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It definitely sounds like it’s coming from my transmission. I put my ear near my transmission and I can hear the knock loud and clear. On the timing chain side I hear nothing. Everything sounds smooth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, so I’ve been dealing with this problem since I bought the car but I noticed it gradually became more noticeable. I replaced my clutch, flywheel, TOB and PB, put grease on all contact points. When I took my tranny off, I noticed my TOB only had one arm retaining the Clutch fork. Other than that no visual signs of wear. The input shaft had little to no play at all. There is a clunking sound when I turn my ac on. It sounds like it’s coming from the transmission. The video explains for itself. If you guys have any suggestions please reply with all the help you all have to offer!

video link||
Did you ever used a freon bottle from Auto Parts store to charge or add it to your AC system? OR your AC compressor started to wear out. I had the same clunking and knocking noise. Shaving metal debris from aging and overcharged freon from the bottle somehow contaminated the system. Explained by the AC Pro in Orange county. He said I need to replace with a new ac condenser or to flush our the old one really well. He did it and my AC is back. My AC on my 2004 base auto RSX with 228K miles is freezing cold.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I charged it a while ago from some freon at o’rielly, did cleaning out the system fix the clunking noise??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts