Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,183 Posts
I forget if the EP3 CMC is the same as the RSX CMC, but yes the RSX CMC CDV or delay orifice is what's known to fail on ours once you upgrade the clutch above Stage 1 or so. Mine was making the pop sound shortly after I upgrade my clutch (1.5) so I got the EM2 CMC which is devoid of the delay mechanism.

It only delays engagement, not disengagement BTW (that would be bad). So basically you cannot replicate a test to see what it does unless you had one without it, since it is forced to go through it upon fast release (think sliding/side-stepping your foot off the clutch pedal)

CMC CDV.PNG

edit: I'm an idiot... somewhat. I forgot that's the CSC, but anyways the CMC has a similar unknown triangular shaped valve body that likely does the same thing, or works in tandem with the CSC one

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you for the diagram. Makes sense. I wonder if it's the pressure plate springs/fingers that push back harder once engaged, that causes a surge of hydraulic fluid back through the system and that plate can't handle the extra pressure as opposed to OEM?

I've not installed anything over the top, Exedy's "stage 1" clutch which is still organic, I'd just hate to install a new OEM CMC and have it fail after a month or so, then again everybody has different luck and scenarios.

May come down to just "run what ya brung" but I'd rather not have to go back and tear out the CMC again if it leaks with the new clutch.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
As I got mentioned above!

the Exedy 08806 kit is all 99.999% of users actually need, I have yet to get one to slip or die, even with a turbo's 550lbft engine in a mid-engined car running slicks etc.

I have had issues with just about every make of twin-plate sold for the K20, some are truly awful, totally unbalanced, juddering to hell, and in some cases they just explode under duress.

That's all IMHO having installed >50 of them and spec'e well over another 200.

we actually use them on the Toyota 2ZZ turbo engines (with our sequential gearbox) because they are so much better than the aftermarket options for the 2ZZ.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
As I got mentioned above!

the Exedy 08806 kit is all 99.999% of users actually need, I have yet to get one to slip or die, even with a turbo's 550lbft engine in a mid-engined car running slicks etc.

I have had issues with just about every make of twin-plate sold for the K20, some are truly awful, totally unbalanced, juddering to hell, and in some cases they just explode under duress.

That's all IMHO having installed >50 of them and spec'e well over another 200.

we actually use them on the Toyota 2ZZ turbo engines (with our sequential gearbox) because they are so much better than the aftermarket options for the 2ZZ.
Must have read my mind, I was just trying to reach out to you via PM moments ago! It's not so much the clutch I am questioning, even 08806 is a tad much for what I'm doing, heck I got a Type-R flywheel to use this clutch, it's the CMC that comes into question and it's ability to work with the clutch's pressure plate and not leak due to the CDV that it has.

I've gotten concerned on if the OEM replacement Honda CMC/Slave will be alright for this 08806 clutch/pressure plate combo or if the EM2 without the CDV ( clutch delay valve) would handle the clutch better or some other CMC/slave combo.

I'd love to get your feedback on this and thanks again the replacement JRSC shaft I picked up from you is working a treat!

·
NA Today
1,505 Posts
Thank you for the diagram. Makes sense. I wonder if it's the pressure plate springs/fingers that push back harder once engaged, that causes a surge of hydraulic fluid back through the system and that plate can't handle the extra pressure as opposed to OEM?

I've not installed anything over the top, Exedy's "stage 1" clutch which is still organic, I'd just hate to install a new OEM CMC and have it fail after a month or so, then again everybody has different luck and scenarios.

May come down to just "run what ya brung" but I'd rather not have to go back and tear out the CMC again if it leaks with the new clutch.
I have a stage 2 clutch. Installed an OEM RSX-S slave and CMC about 10k miles ago and they haven't started leaking

·
+ Displacement
599 Posts
clutch CMC

I forgot to mention that my car have 326000 KM now and the CMC is still
the original when I bought the car at 72000KM. It refuses to die period.

---BTW, good to hear from you Scuffers!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
lol he told me he did it on another car and when they tried to run the the car it didn’t work until they reflashed the ECU I was like wtf...so I guess I can do it right ? I’m running a k tuned race header, CAI,HIMG and stock exhaust,this is my daily and race car lol so I was thinking stage 2 with a 11lbs flywheel?thanks for your answer !

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,183 Posts
idk what he's talking about. People are joking all over Page 1 of this thread about that.

I would go with a Stage 1 or even OEM because you don't need as much clamping force to sync up that lighter flywheel, and it's not going to break free (slip) once it's locked up unless you have massive amounts of torque

21 - 30 of 30 Posts