Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have that problem

Finally, someone else with this problem... Do you have a Type S or standard RSX? What I have found is that its actually two separate issues. One is the chatter of the clutch/pressure plate assembly and the other is the squeak.

The squeak, at least what I think it is, is coming from the joint where the exhaust maifold/header mounts to the pipe. There is a spring pressure mount and a ball type gasket and I think that is where the noise is coming from.

You can replicate the squeak with the car parked (engine off). Assuming the engine is not hot to the touch, grab ahold of engine (I hold on to the valve cover) and lightly rock the engine back and forth. You will hear a squeaky sound. This I believe is what you are hearing when engaging the clutch (in gear) as that replicates the fore and aft movement of the engine when engaging the clutch. You should notice that it doesn't do this when you engage/disengage the clutch while in neutral.

Let me know if the behavior is the same as mine and for everyone else out there perhaps someone has run in to this already (please provide the solution cuz its really annoying).

I did try to unloosen and retighten the spring bolts on the exhaust and it seemed to help a bit but the noise is still there... :(

Any help for this would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I can go to the dealer (as its under warranty) but I hate them hacking away or scratching up my floor boards. I'm sure many of you agree with this ;)

·
Registered
579 Posts
yep, I had the chatter & squeak...about two months later, I pulled out to pass someone, stabbed it into 4th, hit the gas and the clutch started slipping. From then on it kept slipping at lower and lower power levels till the clutch was toast.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the same problem with my 02 type-S.
I only hear the clutch chatter at a cold start though( Mornings before I begin my day). And the squeek when engaging 1st gear ONLY, once again only at a cold start.

Shortly after the initial warm up both the chatter and squeek will stop.
Sorry I don't have solution for this problem.
Just wanted to give my input on this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The squeak

The squeak IS the exhaust pipe rubbing against the manifold. I have replaced the retention spring in mine twice. The problem arises from stock motor mounts. Any hard shifting at all, track day, autocross etc. will stretch the retention spring out as the motor flexes in the mounts. After being stretched out the spring rate drops and the squeak occurs in the joint. Sorry, but the only complete fix is solid motor mounts. You can replace the spring and stop the sqeak until several hard shifts, and I mean HARD shifts and then it will be back. I have put about 8K track miles on my RSX-S and have found several engineering issues such as this over the years.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts