Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
TeamDC5
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to my Acura dealer a few days ago, and they would NOT install my exedy stage 1 clutch and fly,type R final drive, and type R lsd!!! So i went to a reputable shop in my area that deals with Supras and other high performance cars. They quoted me $630.00 for the clutch/fly/fd/lsd :jigglemad ...which IMO is ridiculous high. Ive seen other people here on the boards, like eddie123, who got the same stuff installed for about $450 from his dealer. What are everyone's opinions on that price for this kind of install?????

Also how much of a difference wud an lsd make on drag racing if i plan to run slicks??

·
Registered
196 Posts
just look up as many shops in your area as possible and get all their estimates. I bet you can find a good deal if you search for it. But the best price would be to just pick up a helms manual and do it yourself. :thumbsup:

·
TeamDC5
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mrjdm said:
just look up as many shops in your area as possible and get all their estimates. I bet you can find a good deal if you search for it. But the best price would be to just pick up a helms manual and do it yourself. :thumbsup:
I was thinking about doing it with a few friends, but its an 8 hour job and i definitely dont trust myself ripping apart my tranny. I have been searching around for other shops, but the problem is that none are reputable as this one and have experience with this particular install on the RSX. The only other people i might consider are Cybernations, in Ft.Lauderale.

·
1 of 1
6,419 Posts
BlueRSXS03 said:
I just went to my Acura dealer a few days ago, and they would NOT install my exedy stage 1 clutch and fly,type R final drive, and type R lsd!!! So i went to a reputable shop in my area that deals with Supras and other high performance cars. They quoted me $630.00 for the clutch/fly/fd/lsd :jigglemad ...which IMO is ridiculous high. Ive seen other people here on the boards, like eddie123, who got the same stuff installed for about $450 from his dealer. What are everyone's opinions on that price for this kind of install?????

Also how much of a difference wud an lsd make on drag racing if i plan to run slicks??
Yeah install prices are ridicously high around here in MI. Best bet is to do it yourself or have your friends help you with it, if you dont want to spend to much.

By the way how much did it set you back to get all those parts?

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
666 Posts
Blue....try HP Motoring and South Florida Performance. Both are a trek down into Miami, but both have been highly recommended as far as local shops go.

·
8" member
793 Posts
you can do it yourself. a tranny isnt that scary, trust me. everyone makes it out to be worse than it is. clutch and flywheel are easy as cake. thats just taking off the tranny, but lsd and final drive is a different story. in order to do that you need access to a press and the right tools to pull off all the gears. to make it cheaper (a LOT cheaper) you should do as much as you can yourslef, then bring the guys at the shop all the parts you need swapped, and get them to do that. shouldnt run you more than 100 bux.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I was highly considering going DIY, until I did the math on the tools and parts I would need to buy to get it done. All in all, the parts and tools I don't have added up to $461.93. And I don't have access to a press, so that complicates things.

I'll shell out a hundred more and have a shop do it.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
hey henry/bluersx03. At my job one of the other mechanics specializes in transmissions, I had been asking a lot of questions. And he does side jobs for I think $400, I'll ask him next saturday when I go back in.

·
R.I.P Turbo'ed base auto
4,713 Posts
what part of south florida are you from? i dont know too much about Hp motoring, they're pretty close to me but i dont know if i would take my car there to them. South florida performance i dont know too much about except for where they are located. There is another shop called dynamic turbo, but they're pretty pricey when it comes to things.

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
666 Posts
I've been down to HP motoring, talked to them, they've done alot of work on my friends MR2. They definately know their shit, and alot of their work is on Hondas. I'm notorius for being picky about the ppl working on my car, and I'd trust them. I ttalked to them for a while, and got a good impression, and they've definately done a good job with the MR2.

SFP is listed as Hondatas SF dealer. Anything that HPM does that requires a dyno goes to SFP, at least the MR2 is going there for a dyno. Haven't talked to them yet, but have gotten several recommendations. And if they are Hondatas SF dealer, I would assume that they will know the K-pro program.

·
TeamDC5
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DC5 RSX said:
hey henry/bluersx03. At my job one of the other mechanics specializes in transmissions, I had been asking a lot of questions. And he does side jobs for I think $400, I'll ask him next saturday when I go back in.
Reuben, that would be great if he can do it for $400, but do u think he will do a good job?? Also,does he have a lot of experience with Hondas?

·
TeamDC5
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeahi said:
what part of south florida are you from? i dont know too much about Hp motoring, they're pretty close to me but i dont know if i would take my car there to them. South florida performance i dont know too much about except for where they are located. There is another shop called dynamic turbo, but they're pretty pricey when it comes to things.
im prolly gonna call all those shops everyone has recommended, like hpmotoring, cybernations, and sfp. Problem is that i am about 75 miles north of Ft.Lauderdale id say and i really do not wanna drive any more south, thats y i was considering cybernations which is probably the closest. Cybernations also from what i have heard deals largely with Rsx's. O by the way yeahi, did u get ur car back from the shop yet, if u did hows it runnin?

·
R.I.P Turbo'ed base auto
4,713 Posts
yea i got it back on tuesday, and yes cybernation does great work and does deal largely with rsx's and they do what they will to make sure ur satisfied. Only bad news is that i think they finished installs so you might want to call them on monday to see what they say, It runs beautiful, pulls great and can't stop the compliments from coming. Only problem i have is that i may have a vacuum leak somewhere accorindg to every1 because for some reason im not boosting more than 5psi now when i was boosting 10 last night. But that can be fixed by just clamping something down. If cybernation says they'll install it, i'd recommend you go with them, they'r a real cool bunch of guys. Good luck with your install.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Eddie got a really good deal. $630 is more of a realistic deal. I mean, if most places charge $400 for clutch+flywheel don't another $230 for tearing out all the gears and putting in 2 more pieces sound reasonable? I am not saying you can not get a good deal too, just seems like $600 would be more of the norm instead of $400.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
henry-he worked at a transmission shop for 8years. he knows them like the back of his hand. we tore down a 427 big block tranny on wednesday and rebuilt the whole thing. once I get my clutch and other tranny parts he's going to help me install them. But I asked him how much he charges and he said about $400. He really does great work, and I would definitely recommend him. I'll make sure of the price on saturday when I go back in.

·
TeamDC5
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DC5 RSX said:
henry-he worked at a transmission shop for 8years. he knows them like the back of his hand. we tore down a 427 big block tranny on wednesday and rebuilt the whole thing. once I get my clutch and other tranny parts he's going to help me install them. But I asked him how much he charges and he said about $400. He really does great work, and I would definitely recommend him. I'll make sure of the price on saturday when I go back in.
If he could do it for $400 (ill save $200 which cud b used toward cough:cough: slicks lol) he'll be probably be the person ill get to do the install, and ask him if he has ever done a final drive because i know a lot of shops dont really deal with them, but since he has experience he most likely knows how to do them. Also where is it the shop located? and we should organize it where i could drop it off on a friday then maybe that friday If you go to the track or sumthin ill just go to the track with u and get picked up there or sumthin if you dont mind. later

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.