Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm about to get a new clutch for my 2003 RSX-S and I was wondering if I should also get a flywheel while i'm at it. Question is, from what I've searched so far, the OEM that's in there(I didn't check myself) supposedly weighs about 16lbs. If I have to go with this clutch: Exedy 02-06 RSX Type-S / 06-11 Civic Si OE Clutch Kit and pair it with this "11.4lbs" flywheel: ACT 11.4lbs StreetLite Flywheel, what would be the difference i'm gonna notice first other than the clutch pedal will definitely be softer because it needs to be driven for at least 500mi. Also, I don't race/drag this car. It has 130k miles and with bolt-ons like CAI, RH & catback exhaust.

Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
A buddy of mine has the Competition Clutch stage 1.5 and lightweight flywheel combo and likes it a lot.
Clutch pedal is stiffer because of the pressure plate. Rpms rise and drop faster. If you don’t track the car I’d suggest going stock imho.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A buddy of mine has the Competition Clutch stage 1.5 and lightweight flywheel combo and likes it a lot.
Clutch pedal is stiffer because of the pressure plate. Rpms rise and drop faster. If you don’t track the car I’d suggest going stock imho.
Would it hurt to re-use the flywheel at this point and just replace the clutch using the one I mentioned above? It seems that the clutch is the exact OEM clutch honda/acura uses for this car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I got the exedy stage 1 and i think it’s fine for daily use. You can reuse your stock flywheel as long as it’s not warped. You can get it resurfaced at any machine shop. I’d be willing to bet it’s fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have EXEDY 08806 Racing Clutch Kit with Competition Clutch 2-800-STU Flywheel (11lb).

The clutch is about 5-10% stiffer, it does get some getting use to. Your leg will get tired in heavy traffic but I have gotten used to it. You really only need a high performance clutch if you're going K24 or turbo. If you're sticking with bolt-ons, I would stick with OEM since it's your DD.

The flywheel doesn't take that much getting used to and I would recommend it. Performance wise it's noticeable at the beginning. RPM will rev about 15% faster. So far only other people who drive my car have stalled it a few times.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agreed. I have an exedy oem clutch disk/cover, and I like it. The clutch pedal feels a tad bit stiffer. I have it paired up with a competition light weight flywheel (11lbs) and I enjoy it when I hit the back roads with high rpm’s for rev matching. But in the city it makes me wish that I had kept the stock heavier fly wheel. In my opinion, if you don’t auto cross, or get a decent amount of track time throughout the year, it almost seems like it’s not worth it because of how fast the revs drop when I am cruising.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would it hurt to re-use the flywheel at this point and just replace the clutch using the one I mentioned above? It seems that the clutch is the exact OEM clutch honda/acura uses for this car.
I don't think it would hurt at all, just get it resurfaced at a machine shop like Dohcv8 said. I replaced my OEM clutch into my 2005 Type-S back in February of 2019 with an Exedy Stage 2, kept the original flywheel. Had it resurfaced for $45 I think. I've had no problems with it since.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If the flywheel runout has past the service limit then yes. It’s always good to refresh the components since accessing the clutch housing isn’t as easy as let’s say taking out the air box.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As pointed out, it's a good bit of work getting to the clutch. Reconditioning a flywheel is a hit or miss sometimes. Just safer to replace and be confident. Honestly, for a daily, you can't really go wrong with a TRUE oem flywheel...... smooth as butter

·
Registered
41 Posts
I installed a Clutch Master 1.5 and an 11 lb. flywheel into a Type S. Also installed the uprated master and slave cylinders. No chatter or other anomaly. Clutch pedal play and travel worked out perfectly.
I like the combination a lot. Pedal action and feel is different from stock, but the body adapts easily/quickly, and I have no daily driver driveability issues. I like the slightly faster acceleration under load due less momentum being taken by the flywheel. The clutch has significantly more grab than stock, and aggressive driving is more interesting and fun. Tire wear has significantly increased. (smiley)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts