Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

I think my clutch is slipping How do I really know? I noticed it take forever to get up to like 4k rpm in first. When in 5th gear and downshift the car doesnt give that little jerk when hitting into 4th. Could it be the clutch? I have an intake and exhaust Acura wil probably bitch about it Right.

·
Zilla 4 Rilla ©rew #0
16,800 Posts
its not like it would be covered under warranty anyways

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
:confused:

I think my clutch is slipping How do I really know? I noticed it take forever to get up to like 4k rpm in first. When in 5th gear and downshift the car doesnt give that little jerk when hitting into 4th. Could it be the clutch? I have an intake and exhaust Acura wil probably bitch about it Right.

I dont see why it would take forever if the clutch was bad. I think it would go quicker since there is no force on the engine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
his car wouldnt go anywhere when he downshifts because his clutch is possibly slipping. by downshifting you're giving a sudden increase in power/torque on the transmission. the transmission has to put that power down via the clutch. if the clutch is slipping, it doesnt have enough grip to turn the flywheel, hence it'll take longer to speed up.

·
Suh dude
14 Acura ILX Tech
25,974 Posts
put it in 5th and slam the gas if it revs its shot i recommend the exedy oe clutch off clubrsx and the act prolite fly wheel saves you about 400 bucks than buying the oem stuff and 5th gear actually pulls with a lighter fly wheel :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
I dont see why it would take forever if the clutch was bad. I think it would go quicker since there is no force on the engine.
:iamwiths: Maybe if you said "takes forever to get to 40 MPH" But yeah, if you notice your rpm's shooting up, but your speed isn't...that is the clutch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The easiest way to check is yo put it in the highest gear range (5th/6th), set the parking brake nice and firm, and try to drive away normally. If the clutch is slipping, RPM will rise. If the clutch is holding, the engine will die. Its a short duration test, so to avoid damage you might not want to do it for too long.

These are the most common things we see at the shop I work:

1. Partial engagement - not really possible with a hydraulic clutch, thought id mention it anyway. When the clutch isnt adjusted right, as it wears, free-play becomes less. A small amount of wear on the disc and you can lose all of your original factory free travel. Beyond this point, it will just feel like the driver is always "riding the clutch" (pushing a small amount on it all the time)
Great way to make your clutch nice and slippery
And you'll notice burn marks on the pressure plate, they get HOT

2. Partial disengagement: Problem with the hydraulic release system. Check for low fluid. Or failed master/slave cylinder. Remember that it could be an internal leak. Pump the clutch a few times, hold it to the floor, and try and start the car. If it slowly engages, bingo, internal leak.

Of course, there are several reasons why the clutch might slip. Too much grease on the disc hub, etc etc. Just thought id add some of the more common ones I see.

Oh yeah, First post :laughing:

·
22,083 Posts
My clutch went out about 3 months ago and I noticed in 3rd gear for some reason it would accelerate real quick and then out of no where it shitted on me. I coasted into a empty parking lot and called a tow truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.