Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post. I'm having issues with my 02' RSX type s.
Sometimes when backing up, the gear shift gets stuck in reverse. It takes serious muscle to push it out, however if I shut the car off, it pops out super easily. Sometimes on a cold start, I struggle to put it into 1st. Same thing, if i turn it off and it shifts like butter. After things warm up, there seems to be no issues getting into first. I noticed the other day, while trying to get it into 1st, if I forced it into 3rd or 4th, the car would jump a little bit. Almost like the clutch was still semi engaged. The 1st gear issue has only been recent, while the reverse issue has been ongoing for at least a few months.

Background:
In February I installed carbon lined synchros, and a competition clutch stage 3 kit w/flywheel. I have a hybrid racing short shifter and acuity shifter bushings.

I replaced the CMC with one from an em2 (new from Honda) just the other day hoping it might make a difference, no results. (Bled the lines)

Ive also adjusted my clutch pedal almost all the way out, so the clutch disengages within the first inch or two of pedal travel, no improvement. I can see at least an inch of slave cylinder travel when I have someone press in the clutch.

I know the clutch engages/disengages by parking on a hill, letting the car roll to a stop while in gear, and pushing in the clutch. The disengagement is very close to the top of the pedal travel, and the car rolls no problem.

Shifting through gears with the engine off is effortless. The trans makes no strange noises while driving (except for a bit of a rattley noise when engaging the clutch at too low of rpms)

I popped off the inspection cover half expecting to find pressure plate bolts or clutch springs but found nothing. I rotated the engine and saw all the pressure plate bolts still in their place.

The only thing I can think of is either the clutch plate sticking to the input shaft and rubbing against the flywheel while disengaged, or the pilot bushing providing friction on the end of the input shaft. I'm seriously out of ideas, please help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:
Pulled the trans and found absolutely nothing wrong or out of place. Going to try re-greaseing and assembling. Any ideas?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I been having similar issues like yours ever since I replaced the clutch to a CC stage 4 clutch. I have not yet taken it apart yet but leaning towards a broken throw out bearing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What makes you think throw out bearing? Mine appears to be in perfect condition.
I would hope it's not a manufacturing issue from cc.

·
Registered
not very much faster than an FRS
153 Posts
Did you replace the clutch line? Have you inspected your slave cylinder? Try this: have someone sit in the car and hold the clutch pedal down. Watch the slave cylinder and see if it sinks back at all while the clutch pedal is depressed. You might have a minute leak in the hydraulic system. I had one, and I was pulling my hair out for a week trying to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you replace the clutch line? Have you inspected your slave cylinder? Try this: have someone sit in the car and hold the clutch pedal down. Watch the slave cylinder and see if it sinks back at all while the clutch pedal is depressed. You might have a minute leak in the hydraulic system. I had one, and I was pulling my hair out for a week trying to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it.
Thanks for your reply, I got the car back together today and everything's the same. I had someone hold the pedal down and didn't notice the lever moving back at all. But I guess that doesn't mean it isn't leaking internally anyways. I suppose I'll replace the csc next.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: New CSC from ktuned hasn't solved the problem. Please guys I'm completely out of ideas on this one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Might be that your stage 3 clutch spring is just too heavy for the rinky dink lil hydraulic clutch line in the RSX.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How might the hydraulic line negatively effect the clutch operation?
If the spring is stronger than the hydraulic cylinder then you won't be able to effectively disengage the clutch. But now that I look back you did say you could see adequate travel in the clutch fork, so idk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts