Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Meth Blow Speed = my life
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to post this in here as this is a newly offered clutch from club rsx and has been "suggested" as a replacement for the ever so chattery and obnoxious Competition Clutch Stage 4.

CLUTCH INSTALLED: Review Below Pictures

The clutch does require a 500mile break in period so it will be a while before I can test its holding power but I'll be throwing 365whp / 240wtq at it once its broken in.

Some notes for this clutch are a different resurfacing of the flywheel procedure. My clutch came with a note that said to perform a 0.047 Step Up Positive cut on the flywheel as opposed to a flat cut which most shops do. Make sure when you get your flywheel resurfaced to request the proper resurfacing.

Here are some pictures and Comments are welcome...

Clutch Masters FX350

http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/CLM-08-037-HDFT.html

Flywheel side:

Pressure Plate Side:

*********************************************************************************************************
*********************************************************************************************************

UPDATE:

Clutch is in. Pedal feel is back to stock. Very light pedal feel, NO chatter on the transmission, quick engagement yet very "featherable" without insane chatter/jerking. My previous CC Stage 4 clutch pedal would also squeak terribly when I would press the clutch in and now its silent.

I have not yet had a chance to test WOT as I am still breaking in the clutch according to the manufacturer (500 mile break in period) but I have a feeling from the conversations had with the manufacturer that it shouldn't be a problem for this clutch to hold the power.

Will report back with I go WOT...but overall...this is a SUBSTANTIAL improvement over the CC Stage 4 in daily driving comfort.

A caution when putting this clutch in...the alignment tool that I was sent did not fit snug inside the transmission so I had to put a little electrical tape around the end so that it didn't wiggle while trying to align the flywheel and clutch disc. Just an FYI if you also get an alignment tool that doesn't fit snug.

********************************************************************************************

UPDATE April 2, 2012 - Clutch is still holding strong. I have been to the mountains and hit the curves and steep inclines very hard with this clutch and its still doing just fine. I have noticed a SLIGHT increase in the tendency for it to "chatter" the transmission when trying to feather it but its hit and miss. Still VERY satisfied with this clutch and would recommend it over CC Stage 4 any day.

********************************************************************************************

UPDATE April 10, 2013 - Clutch still holding good guys. The amount of driving I'm doing day to day is becoming less and less but this clutch is still holding true to its claims. 25k miles on the clutch now and still no issues. I think its a solid choice.

UPDATE March 10, 2014 - Clutch has officially started to slip. This brings the total miles to around 40K for me. This includes numerous spirited mountain road drives, 3-4 trips to the drag strip, and ~3 years of stop and go traffic. I am VERY happy with the performance of this clutch and was hoping for MAYBE a little more life out of it...but I have to be honest and say that it is slipping under 7psi of boost slightly as of yesterday.

The picture on Kseries parts is different than the clutch I got and is also different than the picture on Clutch Masters. Has anyone ordered from KSeries and confirmed that its in fact the right clutch?

Sam

·
Retired OG
147,491,197 Posts
nice Sam looking forward to your review!

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/CLM-08-037-HDFT.html

I know that the guys a clutch masters talked to Thomas (Tmartin) and when Thomas told them the power our supercharge systems were making they said not to be worried. It was the material that was main cause for concern when using the FX300 as this would glaze with a lot of downshifts. This Fibertuff material is supposed to handle that better with the same holding power.

Its the little torque we make that lets us get by (according to the manufacturer). I'll be testing 355whp and 240wtq (approx numbers)

·
Been there & gone back
2,315 Posts
I should be starting my trans rebuild in a week or so. The rebuild will be for my 06 trans with 4.7 final with TSX 5th and 6th with this clutch. I will post up here once its complete and I have a few miles on the clutch so I can give my thoughts. I have a supercharged K24A2 so it should be a good test for this clutch since I put 236 tq down. I can't wait to get rid of the heavy CC4.

·
:)
15,492 Posts
i am curious to check out clutchmasters clutch. cc sucks!

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First post updated!

Clutch is in and WOW this is a far superior clutch than the CC Stage 4 for daily driving comfort. Still havent gone WOT yet due to the 500 mile break in but from what the manufacturer told us, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I should be starting my trans rebuild in a week or so. The rebuild will be for my 06 trans with 4.7 final with TSX 5th and 6th with this clutch. I will post up here once its complete and I have a few miles on the clutch so I can give my aftermarket parts. I have a supercharged K24A2 so it should be a good test for this clutch since I put 236 tq down. I can't wait to get rid of the heavy CC4.
I'm sure many of us are looking for photos from you. It's nice to see a beginning and finished product. Good luck with the rebuild.

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FX350 holdes the power. Finally went WOT this weekend and shes good to go.

I 100% recommend this clutch.

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope...clutch is still running strong! Going to the drag strip this Sunday. I will report back after.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Very curious about strip results, I will probably be purchasing this clutch very soon. That or clutchnet, can't decide...

·
Been there & gone back
2,315 Posts
Nope...clutch is still running strong! Going to the drag strip this Sunday. I will report back after.
Hope you get into the 12s like you have always wanted.

I am in the beginning stages of the rebuild process of my trans. I am waiting on a few tools to arrive but so far I have everything else even my press. First order of business is inspect parts and put together a list of items that need to be replaced that I hadn't planned on doing and then get them ordered. Once they arrive I can start putting it all back together. I am working with a fellow member on a nice writeup that should benefit alot of guys who wish to take on a full rebuild of the trans or the TSX 5th and 6th gear install. I can't wait to get this done so I can get some opinions on this clutch. Everything I know thus far about it are very positive so I would expect similar results from you and I Sam.

·
Registered
656 Posts
What flywheel are you using? And is the step up cut on the flywheel are common thing? I have only heard of flat cuts. I'm trying to find a reputable shop to get this done at.

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went to the drag strip and beat the piss out of this clutch. No problems at all. No slip and great grab off the line.

Drove to work today and it was just as light and featherable as before.

This truly is an amazing clutch. Wish I could say the same about my cars traction problems at the drag strip this weekend :face:. Nearly torque steered into the f'ing wall...lol

1 - 20 of 164 Posts